• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

homemade incubators

newt

Canadian Breeder of Corns
Ok I dont have enough money to buy an incubator so ill have to make my own. What im going to use is a 20 gallon glass tank, a plexi glass lid with holes in it, a shoebox for the eggs and a undertank heater. Ill put 2inches of water in the tank, and prop the shoebox up with two bricks. Ill use spagnum moss for the medium for the eggs. Ill have to check on the humidity, and water and temp occasinally. I used this method last yr and it worked so I dont think it will be a problem. Ill put a couple of pin holes in the shoebox for ventalation also to control the humittly going in and out. In the corn snake manuel it says "to build an incubator, use a styrophome container with heat tape on the bottom, add water, prop up the egg container and use a temp gauge. So what im using is pretty much the same idea.
If you want to reply go ahead.

newt said:
Ok I dont have enough money to buy an incubator so ill have to make my own.

Don't have enough money to buy an incubator? Head to your local aquatics store, or the aquatics department of either PetSmart or PetCo. Ask for one of the tropical fish delivery boxes. Most large pet stores throw out boxes like this at the rate of about a dozen a week. The only real expense is the aquarium heater, which is less than most glass tanks.

Not to mention the heat loss from using glass.

regards,
jazz

A $0.99 sterlite box is cheaper that that tank setup and 100% effective. ;)

Sterilite is a brand name of plastic tubs that are similar to the Rubbermaid brand.

I'm currently using a 6qt sterlite in a 12qt sterilite with a heating pad. Just got it so it wasn't too hot. I have a bunch of small books between the pad and the 12qt. sphagnum for incubation medium. I'll take a pic later if your interested.

Really Simple Girl

Hi,

I need some help with building an incubator, but I was wondering if someone could give me a set of simple instructions to build and maintain an incubator.
I'm on a tight budget and live in the middle of nowhere, there is a reptile shop about 15 miles away, but I'm not sure on the variety of products they'll have in stock. I appreciate any help anyone can offer! Thanks!

This is what I have used for the first 2 years.
All the good eggs hatched without any problems. :)

Rob.

DSC01581.JPG

DSC01582.JPG

DSC01583.JPG

DSC01584.JPG

They have no special brand.
All you need is two boxes where the small box easaly fits in the big box with enough space on all sides.
For people from the Netherlands: The big one is from Blokker the small one from TER.

The big box is 27cm (11 Inch) x 38cm (15 Inch) x 28cm (11 Inch)high
The small one is 17cm (7 Inch) x 24cm (10 Inch) x 8cm (3 Inch) high

There is around 2 Inch of water in the big box which is heated to 85F with
a 50W aquarium heater with build in thermostat.

Two stone briks are in the water so that the small box just makes contakt with the water.

Rob...

Back