• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hot or cold?

COOP

Just wondering what temps peoples corns prefer...?

I have a 4' viv with a temp gradiant of 84f at the warm end and 68f at the cold end. There are plenty of hides to choose from but he always sleeps in the coldest hide :shrugs: unless its the day he's been fed, then he'll use his warmest hide.

Must just like it cool :crazy02:

Well 82 might be a little too warm for them but my temps are around 80 in the day and 74 at night. I think they just might like the coolness better which is okay. :santa:

COOP said:
Just wondering what temps peoples corns prefer...?

I have a 4' viv with a temp gradiant of 84f at the warm end and 68f at the cold end. There are plenty of hides to choose from but he always sleeps in the coldest :shrugs: hide unless its the day he's been fed, then he'll use his warmest hide.

Must just like it cool :crazy02:
I think you're doing things right, and you've answered your own question (or your snake has ;) ). You've got an excellent gradient across a good distance, with hides covering all zones. I use tubbed racks, so I can't quite acheive this. But my gradient is probably 72-84 over a shorter distance. My snakes hang out in the warmest areas for a day or two after feeding and move to cooler areas after that. :)

Mine changes all the time, depending on whether the AC is on and where I position the light, but usually it's around 78-84, since it's a 10 gallon it's hard to achieve a big gradient. Sometimes I'll wake up and it's near 95, which I realize is not ideal.

Alsoknownas said:
Mine changes all the time, depending on whether the AC is on and where I position the light, but usually it's around 78-84, since it's a 10 gallon it's hard to achieve a big gradient. Sometimes I'll wake up and it's near 95, which I realize is not ideal.
Lamps aren't good. They make enclosures over-dry. Corns aren't baskers. They tend to regulate their temps via belly heat. Try under-tank heating options manufactured for reptiles. 95* is way too high for corn snakes. Try to get temps on the warm side in the mid eighties, at the highest. :)

Roy Munson said:
Lamps aren't good. They make enclosures over-dry. Corns aren't baskers. They tend to regulate their temps via belly heat. Try under-tank heating options manufactured for reptiles. 95* is way too high for corn snakes. Try to get temps on the warm side in the mid eighties, at the highest. :)
Well, the humidity is always around 50-60, and even though it's a bit difficult to control the temperature with this lamp, as I have to turn it off at times and place it closer at other times, I've heard many stories of burns with under-tank heaters and I don't know much about them or how to control temperature that way.

Alsoknownas said:
Well, the humidity is always around 50-60, and even though it's a bit difficult to control the temperature with this lamp, as I have to turn it off at times and place it closer at other times, I've heard many stories of burns with under-tank heaters and I don't know much about them or how to control temperature that way.
There are two ways to use UTHs:

1. With a thermostat, probe placed on substrate.
2. With a thermometer, using various substances (e.g. cardboard, magazine, etc.) as a buffer between heater and enclosure surface.

When it comes to heating I just use heat pads and a homade reostat. When i Clean my snake cages I adjust the temp, If it feels to warm I turn it down a little. other than that I just keep my snake in a sunny room, or use a lamp when its cloudy. I do mist when i use my lamps. I have one corn use like the dark and likes a low temp, around 72 Degrees F. If the temps gets over 83 she get cranky and will sometime regurge.

Back