• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

House fire claims all but a few possesions....

doortech9

Access Systems Technician
This past week there was a terrible fire that destroyed a building in downtown Yorkton SK. The building was home to three businesses and two residences. My loft was above my dads shop, and my neighbors place was above his dads shop.

By the time I got to the building there was already smoke billowing into my place, and there was little time to go to work. My roommate and I stormed in and started prioritizing possessions. I started throwing snakes into tupperware containers and he started gathering our instruments.

We managed to save all 3 snakes, 5 of 8 guitars, our tv, laptops, and a few backpacks full of clothes and whatever else of value that was in sight.

I am now suffering from a really sore chest and some serious depression.

I'll be the first to say it was foolish to rush into a burning building, but I would be completely lost if i didn't rescue my animals and instruments.

For the time being my snakes are in tupperware containers, and quite upset with losing their spacious homes, and I am in a very similar situation living in a cramped spare room at a friends house. Now to rebuild....

I'm sorry. That's awful. I'm glad you saved your snakes, guitars and some possessions. I can't really imagine what you must be going through. What a terrible thing to happen.

Glad you are okay though.. despite the cramped living conditions and lost possessions.

Let me know if you need to talk.

So sorry to hear of your loss - it must be really devastating! But I am glad that at least you and your animals are safe, and that you have friends willing to take in you and the snakes, even though it is cramped. My sympathies are with you.

That must of been horrendous for you....
Though you are now officially a hero for saving the animals.
It's lucky it wasn't the middle of the night and you were asleep in bed at the time.

Thank you :) As unlucky as I consider myself, my neighbors in the other loft didn't even get a chance to go in, as their place was in flames when we got there. I'm really hoping the snakes don't get RI's, the smoke and now cooler accommodations aren't exactly perfect conditions. Is there anything i can do to prevent an infection?

I'd say raise the temps (I know that's not possible right now), but cornsnakes (if that's what they are) are pretty hardy and lower temps won't bother them any. I would refrain from feeding right now and just keep an eye out on them. So sorry to hear about all your losses. I'm very glad you were able to save the animals. As sad as I'd be to lose my musical instruments, I could at least try to replace them. The animals' lives can't be brought back.

Maybe somebody in the UK could lend you (by mail) some heat pads or lights until you can get your own again? Most breeders have extra of that kind of stuff laying around. If you were here in the US, I would be able to send a couple of them, and not even miss them.

Do we still have the European or UK member forums going? If so, maybe inquire there - I bet somebody would help out.

SORRY!!

I thought I had read that you were in England for some reason!! But I see you are in CANADA! So your electric should be the same as in the US, I believe? If so, send me your address and I can send some sort of heat tape or something to get you by. I am assuming you don't already have some?

Sounds like you have 3 snakes (adult corns?) set up in Tupperware. Can you put LOTS of ventilation holes in the plastic to allow excess heat to escape if you use heat tape / pads?

Dang Josh, that's terrible! Good friends, nice that you have a place you can stay. I hope putting your life straight doesn't take too long.
Even though it was a bit dangerous it's nice that you saved your snakes. They may cause you a little stress worrying about their care, but probably a lot less than if they would have died in the fire.

Thanks Kathy and Alan. I made contact with my breeder, he thought i lost my snakes in the fire so he had complete setups with snakes ready for me to come and get! Talk about generous! I should be alright now with heated tanks, as long as their meals digest ok. I had fed them one day prior to the incident so they might be a while breaking it down. I just checked on them and sniper is all coiled up in his water container, something i have absolutely never seen him do. It is only 68 degrees inside here so i wouldent think its because he is hot. Any ideas?

68 is pretty chilly. Maybe the water vapor soothes the respiratory system? I don't know.

It is very impressive of your breeder to offer that. If he has a regular business selling herps or supplies, you should go to the BOI on Fauna and tell everyone how helpful he is. People like to deal with a compassionate business like that. I believe there is also a Canadian BOI, as well.

I'm so glad you got the snakes out. Sorry about everything else, but you got your snakes out.

Josh, I would be devastated. Don't even know if I could be posting on the internet. Glad to hear you saved your snakes, and the other "necessities". Will be thinking about you...seriously.

Maybe he's getting ready to shed. Mine lay in the water sometimes although not often. My amel did it while I was traveling across the US to our new home. He'd never done it before, and as far as I know...never has since.

That is awful that you have to go through this. I myself know exactly how you're feeling. This past September, we also had a fire and I lost all of my possessions...including my first corn snake :awcrap: Right now, our house is still in re-building mode and my family of eight are living in a 4 bedroom bungalow at the moment.. Good luck to you and your family on your recovery.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss but very glad to hear that you are safe and that you managed to save your animals. It sounds like no one was hurt in the fire and that is a wonderful thing.

I hope you can get your life sorted out and that your Dad can get his business going again very soon.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. That is terrible! But it is heartening to hear that you have people/friends that are willing to help. The breeder that you are dealing with, sounds like a real human being/saint! Treatment like that, is almost unheard of!

Hold you head up and keep us posted. You will be in my families thoughts, tonight!

Wayne

Thank you all very much for your comments, having a community of people so far away from me showing such support means a lot to me. The breeder who has the snakes for me has a small collection of around forty, and sells just to get back some of the costs of keeping them, which makes it all the more meaningful knowing he hasn't got alot to spare. Ill keep an eye on everyone and keep you guys posted, thanks again for your support!

Back