• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

House size

TiffanyD

Hi. My guy likes to climb a few nights a week and burrow in substrate all day. He's ready for a new home. Should I go with an 18X18X18 (25 gal) or a 24X18X12 (22.4 gal)? Thanks =)

How old is he and how long is he? I believe a generally good rule of thumb is, length = approximately 1/2 the length of the snake. So if 2ft or rapidly nearing 2ft probably best to go with the 24"L. Also he might not really be ready for a new home? Corns love to burrow and a lot of corns love to climb, no matter what size they or their home are.

Also, even climbing corns are still terrestrial creatures. Length space is always more important than height. Proper length helps with better temperature gradients and more natural behavior/location for thermo regulation. So if you're only considering the 18" cube for the extra height, I'd definitely throw my vote towards the Long... even with less volume, it has the necessary ground space for a happy healthy corn.

I was actuallly just wondering this question myself. I am wanting to put my almost year old corn in a 40gal breeder. Anyone think that may be too big?

I was actuallly just wondering this question myself. I am wanting to put my almost year old corn in a 40gal breeder. Anyone think that may be too big?
Nope not to big, make sure to have a hide on the warm end and one on the cool end, and one in the middle wouldn't hurt. Also get some leafy foliage (from the dollar store is fine, just make sure to check for sharp wires or other pokey bits). Put it down between the hides, your snake will be able to move from one hide to another and still feel like it is being sneaky.

ok. cool. Thank you for the info. I have to get the lighting and the heating pad before I can move him. I use black lights to add to his color when he is out and about at night. Makes him look really cool. LOL

If you've got the clutter, nothing is technically *too big*. As Alicia described, warm hide cool hide, then as much stuff as you can fit in all around and between. Then even a baby would eventually feel comfortable. Not that I'd ever recommend a baby in a 40 gallon breeder, just mentioning that with enough clutter and proper hides it could be done. It's easy to make it homey enough for a yearling though.

thank you for that info. I won one of those really big hide rocks from exoterra and he absolutely loves it. So that cobined with all the other junk i have to put in there, i think he just might make himself at home. :) Thanks again ya'll

Back