• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Household compact bulbs???

buckmaster299

I took the old style incandescent bulb off my corn snake because it was making it too hot. I have 2 hides in his vivarium, one on the cool side and one on the side where I have the heat mat. I am wondering if me having one of the compact florescent household bulbs will hurt him. It is the lowest wattage i could find I think it is the equivalent of like 40w normal bulb. I don't want to hurt my snake by having light on during the day. Please tell me if this will hurt him or not. thank you all for any and all help with this that you can give me.

I can't speak for compact fluorescent bulb the equivalent of a 40w incandescent, but I have a 25w incandescent bulb that I put on top of his screen top during the day. Sometimes it's just really gloomy here (Wooooo....gotta love Cleveland) and I just want him to have more light. I know it does nothing for keeping him warm (I have a UTH for that), but he seems to enjoy going up in his hammock and sunning himself and I've never had any injuries from it. :)

Corn snakes don't have any light requirements at all.. some do liek the 'sun" themselves, but as long as they have a way to keep warm on their own then don't worry about light at all.

The CF bulbs will not hurt your snake at all either.

As long as the room they're in has natural sunlight, then they can establish their day/night cycle without any problems. None of mine have lighting in their vivs and they seem to know when it's light (bedtime) and dark (time to eat!) In any case, as neither flourescent or incandescent bulbs provide a natural-type light, these are unlikely to help with a day/night cycle.

I have a red bulb in my room several actually but they are on at night only and only for me to better see my snakes while there out at night. The red light doesn't bother them a bit they are out just as they would be in total darkness. I keep those lights on a timer so they only come on at dark.

I took the old style incandescent bulb off my corn snake because it was making it too hot. I have 2 hides in his vivarium, one on the cool side and one on the side where I have the heat mat. I am wondering if me having one of the compact florescent household bulbs will hurt him. It is the lowest wattage i could find I think it is the equivalent of like 40w normal bulb. I don't want to hurt my snake by having light on during the day. Please tell me if this will hurt him or not. thank you all for any and all help with this that you can give me.

A 10W CFL should be fine for your purposes, as it is about 40W equivalence, but my understanding is that corn snakes are nocturnal and hence don't need a heat light. Just get some flex-watt or other heating tape, get a good thermostat, and put it under only 1/3 of the tank. That's all a corn really needs to be happy and healthy.

Back