• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

housing 2 corns

watthe

Is it ok 2 keep 2 male corns together in a 20gallon for the rest of their lives. Or shuld i seperate them in 2 different vivs. Also is a 20gallon big enough 2 house 1 corn snake for the rest of its life or do i need 2 get another 1 wen th corn gets bigger.

I don't think it's gallon what's it about. Corns are ground snakes. A high viv won't make them happy, even if it's 100 gallon. It should be 0.7 to 1.0 the size of the snake long. They'll like to do a bit of climbing though i would still supply some climbing materials. I don't know if 2 snakes in a viv would demand an even larger one. I leave that question to the more experienced members here. Though always goes there a huge difference in what a snake needs to survive, and what will give him a happy live. Personally, i ALWAYS buy more then the minimum standards. Minimum is just enough for surviving.

And hye, my 120 x 40 x 50 viv for my two 7 week old babies just arrived :) And i'm not even sure if i won't give them a larger one when there getting older.

Can't speak from personal experience as I've never tried it, but I've always understood that adult male Corns may fight and injure each other during the breeding season. That's the reason I've never done it and I wouldn't recommend it.

Height can provide useful extra floorspace if you have room to add bits in. I have three feett tall vivs, with two wide shelves at one and two feet off the floor. A couple of my Corns have taken up residence on the shelves and rarely venture onto the "ground floor" any more!

Oh that's a good idea. Does anyone have any other good ideas to decorate the viv as good as possible? I need to buy some soon.

hey jicin is the measurement of ur viv in inches. Also wat do u mean it shuld b 0.7 to 1.0 the size of the snake long. Thanks 2 both of u i didnt think that wuld b big enough 2 keep the snake comfortable i jus wanted 2 c wat other ppl thought n kel i also heard that the adult males wuld fight during breeding season.

Centimenters.

Well, if your corn is 100 cm long the viv should be 70 to 100 centimeter long. 0.7 to 1 in other words. At least, that's what i real in the books. Bigger the better to me. As long as there's plenty room to hide so the snake will feel save and comfertable.

I don't see why 2 males would go fight if there's no female around. From what i've heard it's pretty much the same with all animals. All male go good, all female go good. 1 male goes oke with many females. More males to 1 or more females total war. You can expect that patern since it's all about who get's the babe :)

Hi this is just my piece of advice. I dont know if it will help. I personally do not keep my snakes together except when breeding. Especially hatchlings. Then can turn cannibalistic (i've heard). Whether its two males or two females, I still wont keep them together for one main reason....you still have to seperate them to feed them. If you dont you will find yourself in a bad situation. THey will fight over the food even if you put in 4 mice. Its just how they are they are hunters in the wild and its their natural instinct to fight for their food. Anyway I hope that helps a bit.

O jicin at first i thought it was inches that wuld b huge for baby corns. Milleniumtat2 y is seperating to feed them the main reason y u dont keep 2 males or 2females together. Bcuz even if u hav 1 corn snake ur supposed to put it in a different container

There is about a million threads on the pros and cons of housing two snakes together. Use the search function.

People coved the housing corns together (try the search function for more details) but it is basically frowned upon.

As far as decoration, many people like using tree branches to provide sturdy, nice looking climbing. You must treat the wood to make sure it is free of any life (go a search on that....I don't know much).

I am a fan of PVC, it is so versitile. You could make anything you wanted out of it, and it is VERY sturdy. However, just plain PVC was a little slippery and boring. I bought a bunch of a fake plant at Walmart and hot glued it onto the PVC. Not only does it look good now, it provides coverage in the tank (making little snake feel secure), but it gives all sorts of fun ways to climb around and fall off of leaves.

If you got a tall tank, it seems like you could cut shelves of glass or PVC (make sure the exposed edge is NOT sharp), then probably use silicone to secure it into place. I've never tried this, but it seems like it should hold decent weight if done well. If it seems flimsy, make climby things to help suport it (or PVC Columns).

watthe said:
O jicin at first i thought it was inches that wuld b huge for baby corns. Milleniumtat2 y is seperating to feed them the main reason y u dont keep 2 males or 2females together. Bcuz even if u hav 1 corn snake ur supposed to put it in a different container

first off, I dont feed in seperate containers because I dont have the time. It would be easier for me to reply if I could actually read your post. You dont have to seperate but alot of people do. I have never gotten bit by any of my snakes, which is the main reason most people feed in seperate containers to keep their snakes from expecting every time the lid opens to be ready to eat. I get my snakes out on daily basis and they never act aggresive because they are used to being handled and do not expect to get fed every time the lid opens. I didnt mean to come across rude, but it would be much easier for people to understand your posts if you took the time to write right.

Jicin said:
I don't see why 2 males would go fight if there's no female around. From what i've heard it's pretty much the same with all animals. All male go good, all female go good. 1 male goes oke with many females. More males to 1 or more females total war. You can expect that patern since it's all about who get's the babe :)

thats completely correct jicin, i, myself have never had to experience 2 males fighting over one female, as i only have the one male and 4 females. but 2 males should be okay together as long as a female is not introduced.
good luck
:)

Back