• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Housing

Golden

Owns a Corn
Well, I'm getting my first corn in a few months, and I'm not sure what I should keep it in. I've noticed many different kinds around the site but I'm still not entirely sure what would be best.

I'm going to get a baby corn, so, any suggestions of what I should do?

Also, I'm not really sure how I should set up an enviorment. What should I have in it? Is there a general price range for everything? :headbang:

Thanks

Research, lots and lots of research. There is a FAQ section and a search function on this site if you use those you will find all the answers you are looking for. Good luck and have fun.

Golden said:
Well, I'm getting my first corn in a few months, and I'm not sure what I should keep it in. I've noticed many different kinds around the site but I'm still not entirely sure what would be best.

I'm going to get a baby corn, so, any suggestions of what I should do?

Also, I'm not really sure how I should set up an enviorment. What should I have in it? Is there a general price range for everything? :headbang:

Thanks
well, if it is your first corn i would keep it in a 10 gallon aquarim. for the environment all you need is a substrate( litter on the bottome of the cage.). many people use aspen but there are many things you can use. just don't use cider or pine shavings, or sand! i use bed-a-beast, but you could just use newspaper or paper towels.you will also need a heating element. for this i suggest a UTH(under Tank Heater). you might also want to get a rheostat to control the power going to the UTH. you want the Temps on the warms side to be about 80-85 and on the cool side 70-75. you will also need two hide boxes. they can be as simple at a toilet paper roll or as elaborate as a $30 ceramic cave from a pet store. to tell the truth, the snakes don't care what it looks like. just as long as you have one on the warm and one on the cool side you should be fine. also they might like a fake vine to hide in too. you will also need a water dish. it should be big enough for the snake to soak in but not huge. you will also need to make sure the enclosure is escape proof. it is very easy to let a snake escape. you will need to feed it pinkies for a hatchling one every 5 days should suffice. depending how elaborate you go it can cost from $50 with out the snake to $150+ it is really your choice.

this is a thred on how to make your own Conroler, you might find it usefull.

Hi Golden. If you plan to put him in a big display viv later, I wouldn't spend the money on a ten-gallon tank. I'd keep a hatchling in a 6 quart Sterlite shoebox ($1-$2), and move him up to a 15 quart Sterilite tub ($3 - $4) after 2-4 months of growth. The 15 quart will be adequate until he's a yearling, at which point you can move him to the big display viv. You can always use the tubs for feeding and for new snakes when your first guy has outgrown them. Of course, enclosure security is a must at all stages to prevent escape. The Sterilites should be well ventilated with holes in the sides (not the top) that are no more that 1/8" in diameter.

Use paper towels as substrate in the 6 quart. You can use them in the 15 quart as well (and the viv, for that matter), but I prefer to switch to aspen when they move to the 15 quart tubs. Find the nice, shredded aspen, not the big, chunky stuff.

Good luck!

horned_frog_guy said:
...but how do you heat the sterlite tubs?

I use racks for most of mine, and they are equipped with belly heat. But I'm anxiously awaiting another rack, so I have some tubs out, and I heat these with Sunbeam heating pads/mats intended for people. You only want to heat about 1/3 of any tub, so each Sunbeam mat is big enough to heat four 6 quart tubs, two 15 quart, or two 32 quart tubs. You could also use the stick-on Zoo-Med, or Cobra type intended for reptiles, but you can't adjust their heat output. If you use these, I wouldn't remove the adhesive backing.

Before I put snakes in the Sunbeam-heated tubs, I leave the fully set up tubs on the mats for a few hours on what I think is an appropriate setting. Then I take temps and start adjusting. But you do have to watch out for ambient room temps, if they aren't constant.

depends if you have anything to control the temp with. Why should the holes be in the sides and not the top of the satellite, just wondering

Thank you all, that really helped...

I was wondering if there would be any difference if it started out in a big viv at first instead of having it in a small one as a baby?

Within the last 5 days there was a post that had a similar question. Like I said do a search and you will find just about all the ansewers you are looking for. Good luck.

Golden said:
Thank you all, that really helped...

I was wondering if there would be any difference if it started out in a big viv at first instead of having it in a small one as a baby?

you could stat out with a big viv, you would just need to make sure that there where tons of hides in it thought

Since you obviously don't want to do a search your self I have a question about your post before I can answer your question.

How big is the viv you intend to use?

Billybobob said:
Since you obviously don't want to do a search your self I have a question about your post before I can answer your question.

How big is the viv you intend to use?

I actually did do some searching.

I'm going to be using a 20 gal so that I won't have to spend more money in getting a 20 gal to switch to when it's in a 10 gal.

You may only need 3-4 hides since you are getting a baby and i think that you will only need one water dish. A 20 gal is not really that big for a baby but it would still benefit from the 1-2 extra hides.

Golden said:
I actually did do some searching.

If you had done a search you would have found plenty of threads that have the info you were looking for.

Billybobob said:
You may only need 3-4 hides since you are getting a baby and i think that you will only need one water dish. A 20 gal is not really that big for a baby but it would still benefit from the 1-2 extra hides.

Okay, thanks...

Billybobob said:
If you had done a search you would have found plenty of threads that have the info you were looking for.

I had to go before I could do a bit more in the searching, and I started searching a bit more just a few minutes ago.

Back