• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How accurate is the measurement of a shed?

coloradoflower31

coloradoflower31
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how accurate measuring a shed would be to get an idea of the total length of the snake. I have heard different things. I measure the shed everytime because Selu just doesn't cooperate with the ruler! I measured 32 inches for the shed today and 29.5 inches for his last shed.
I want to get some pictures of him this weekend with his fresh color - look for Selu pictures soon!

The shed skin will be a good bit longer than the snake. It won't tell you how long your snake really is. You can track growth by comparing them but not actual size.

Because of the way a snake shed expands as it comes off, it is very unrealistic to measure them for an accurate length of the actual critter - like antsterr said. What you can do, is if you can take a picture of your snake from above - a full body shot - with a ruler or other object of reference, you can use a program to determine the length of the snake and get much more accurate results.

I don't recall where I saw the link to the measurement program, but if you do a search for measurement, or snake length I'm sure you'll find more info that I can give you.

Jenn

for my snakes that wont hold still or for like my burm.... I use a cloth ruler.. or you can use a string or something... it contours to the body and the snake doesnt really know its there. Just use a peice of yarn... start at the top and go from there.... at the end of the snake mark or cut the yarn and measure that. It is the easiest way I have for measureing snakes. :) Hope thats a help to you :)

Thanks

Thanks everyone! Cat-eyed, that's a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I actually didn't know that the shed could stretch that much so I had assumed that measuring the shed was accurate enough.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow and then we shall see won't we!

Not - I've checked shed lengths against total lengths and the snake's ACTUAL length was anywhere from about 75% to 98+% of the shed's length. Not very accurate. Sorry. I even tried things like soaking a shed skin, hanging it to dry, and then measuring it. Same variation.

KJ

used the yarn

I used the yarn like cat_eyed_lady suggested...boy that was harder than I thought! He is a wiggler! I came up with 27 inches today with yesterday's shed being 32 inches.

Thanks, everyone...I will check out that sepwidget too.

I don't know if it is due to a problem in the algorithm or just parallax in the image, but I've found that program to be no more accurate (using preserved specimens) than a fiberglass tape measure or the "yarn" trick. On live snakes it might be marginally better, but not worth the effort of getting/using the program. Of course, I've had to measure lots of wild snakes, so practice may make it easier.....

Of course, it all depends on the amount of error you can accept - if you don't mind it being an inch or two off, any of the methods except the shed skin are usuaully good enough.

KJ

You know what's strange. We got this new x-ray equipment at work, and one of the things it can do with an image is measure. If you know the length of say, a screw in the x-ray, you enter that known measurement and then can use that scale to measure anything! So I tell the apps guy, hey, I know a snake measuring program that works exactly like that!! It was exciting...

Back