• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How big of a mouse should I feed him?

DiscipleRayne

I've had my snake for a while and he's a little under 4 feet in length. His girth is about twice that of a fuzzy give or take. I've been feeding him fuzzies every since I got him and he looks a little thin now. How do I know when to feed him bigger mice?

Before he reaches adult size (at around five feet and three years old), he should eat food that's about one and a half times the width of his body (not his head or neck). It should leave a visible lump for 48 hours after eating. When it no longer does that, it's time to move up to the next size. Once you reach adult mice, that's the best size for an adult Corn and he'll eat those for the rest of his life.

He's pretty much fully grown at four feet, so I'd try to increase his food size. Try him with a small mouse and if he manages that OK, give him those for the next few feeds. Keep an eye on that post-feeding lump in his belly and the minute it doesn't last for 48 hours, move up to the next size of mouse.

Beware that he will take longer to digest as the food size gets larger, so leave it longer between each feed. With small mice I feed one, once a week; medium mice, one, once every ten days; and large mice, one, once a fortnight.

I appreciate the answer. I'm going to buy a couple of small mouses tomorrow and feed them too him and see if he can handle them. I just get worried because the mice are so big and his mouth is so small. It's just in my nature to underestimate what he can handle. I worry he might hurt himself but I know better :)

I appreciate the answer. I'm going to buy a couple of small mouses tomorrow and feed them too him and see if he can handle them. I just get worried because the mice are so big and his mouth is so small. It's just in my nature to underestimate what he can handle. I worry he might hurt himself but I know better :)

The size of the snakes mouth has little to do with, what they can handle. Something about the unhinging jaws. As mentioned before, they can handle a mouse that is 1.5 times the size of the fattest part of their body. Where you are feeding the snake smaller meals, try giving two fuzzies or something along those lines and get him used to eating bigger meals. Build him up to it, instead of doing it all at once.

Feeding a little smaller meal, is OK, as long as you are feeding them more often. Like every five days. An adult snake should be fed every 7-10 days an appropriate sized mouse.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Back