• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how big should the male be?

batmand

Hi. How long should a male be before i can breed him with my female? He is about 65 cm now and the female is about 90 cm and weighs about 280-300 grams.

Male ocasionally breed at a year old, and not much bigger than 100 grams. They are generally better/more vigorous breeders when they get bigger. Your female, at 280-300 grams, is on the small side for a breeder. The "general" rule of thumb is 300 grams, but age and the snake itself can lend to the difference :*)

I should preface this by saying that I don't have any personal experience in this area yet, but...

I seem to remember that last year someone (I beleive it was Serp?) had a post about his little 90g virgin male siring a pretty decent sized cluth of eggs. And 90g is pretty small.

Also, I too would feel a little hesitant about breeding a female on the small side like that (not that a fair number of people don't do it anyway), but I guess there is the potential for a lot of complications with a smaller snake. I just would hate to lose one to egg-binding. However, I'm sure you know your snake's capabilities. Good luck if you decide to go through with it. :) Let us know how it goes.

Last week I put a 100g male in with a 300g female to see what they'd do (they are a future couple) but he was not overly keen on pursuing her. He had a sniff and checked her out but there was no real 'mating instinct' showing. I hear smaller males usually give less fertile results even if they are keen to mate so perhaps once he makes 100g you can try him with her. This will also give her a little time to put on some more weight and be in better shape to breed for you. If nothing happens at 100g, try again at 120g and you'll probably get a better result...

I think if you had success with a 65g male you'd be setting some kind of new record!

princess said:
I think if you had success with a 65g male you'd be setting some kind of new record!

It was a 65 CM male, not 65 gram. The mass/weight was not stated. 65 cm is about 25 or 26 inches, for those of us not using the metric system on a regular basis.

Of course it must also depend on the natural variation in sizes among Corns. Some are only 2 to 3 feet (less than 1 meter) at full size. At the risk of over-generalizing, I think the Corns from farther north in their range (like South Carolina) tend to run a little larger than the Corns from the southern-most parts of the range, where the winters are milder.

In the last month, my 04 Miami male that would only eat live has started eating f/t, and he has put on a bit more size. He's 114 g right now, with a mostly empty stomach. He's at least 26 inches. He can eat a small adult mouse with no problem (I usually move up to hoppers at about 19 inches, fuzzies at about 14 or 15 inches). I plan to try breeding him in the near future. My other 04 Miami male is larger, probably 150 to 175 grams. He has always been a better eater, including when he is going into shed (he doesn't care.) My early 04 Okeetee is, in contrast to the two 04 Miamis, 42 inches long and probably twice as heavy as the larger Miami male. I try not to feed him too much, as I want my July 05 Okeetee to be of compatible breeding size, sooner or later. She's already well over 100 grams and growing like a monster. With her, I'll definitely follow the 300 gram 'rule.'

is it safe to put them together?? I don't want the female to die or get hurt because she can't lay the eggs..

more truth to above statement than not!

The statement above may seem odd, but so very true! Breeding any animal can bring troubles. It's all about risks! That being said, it's also weighing the risks. If you feel an animal is too small, or young to breed. Chances are your right. Check measurements, like length and weight. I myself won't breed a female till she is at least two and a half years old, actual age by the time she breeds. But this is also a product of how I raise up my corns. Another breeder can raise them up to breeding weight in shorter time with a good feeding program. But my personal feeling is growing them up too fast, and breeding early can cause trouble. Waiting another year to produce more baby corns in an already pretty much saturated market isn't going to put you back any! Read up all on the risks involved. And yeah, read all the other responses on here, and make your own decision. Good question.
Russell

Back