• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How can i tame a somewhat nervous corn?

jovamabob

So i recently rehomed a female corn snake who is very nervous. I left her to settle in then started handling her this last week. She's only bitten me twice but she's very stressed and tense the entire time. I've been handling her for 20 minutes daily for a week in the hope she'd get a little better each time, but she's been getting more and more nervous and stressed with each session. Whenever she strays a little too far and i pick her up to bring her back, she'll jump a mile.
She also needs moving to a larger enclosure than the one she arrived with, but i dont want to put too much stress on her all at once.

Should i keep handling her or let her rest for a while? Are there any tips or tricks?

tumblr_mgxw4vs03M1ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

Just keep handling her and be confident in your movements when picking her up and such. Snakes are pretty good at sensing uneasiness in a person when they're being handled so even if you're just hesitant for her well being she may interpret that wrong. Just take things at a normal pace and she should start feeling more relaxed with you. It's taken nearly 6 months for Rapunzel to become fully relaxed whenever we take her out and sometimes on occasion she'll still get spooked and start racing around her cage to escape us. She'll come out of it eventually and I'd say whenever you are ready to switch her viv to a larger one go ahead but then wait a week again for her to readjust to the new one before handling and feeding.

Back