• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do I get a Snow?

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
I actuallly passed Genetics in collage, but that was over 20 years ago, and I'm just not getting it now my brains have turned to mush. I have a female anery motley. Can I get a snow from her, if so how?

Also, I have two motleys--the female anery and her brother who is normal colored (except for his grey face :shrugs: ). Although they are aways away from breeding, I would like to get a couple more snakes now. What would you recommend so that I have interesting babies. I really love the motley pattern by the way, but I don't think I want all motley snakes. Does anyone know what I'd get by breeding the siblings?

Anery, amel, and motley are all independent of each other and recessive to normal. For any of them to be expressed it must be inherited from each parent. (Each parent must be either het for, or expressing, that mutation.)

A snow is a corn expressing both anery and amel. So to hatch snow corns, you must have a pair of breeders that each carry the anery and amel genes.

If your anery motley is het for amel, she can produce snows. If not, she can't. If you can find out what her parents are, you might be able to determine if she is het or possibly het for amel. You can also find out by breeding her to anything that is carrying or expressing the amel gene. :)

Thanks!

Thank you, it finally clicked. I just got your book (I ordered it from Kathy) but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I need to slow down, I feel like a kid in a candy store after seeing all these beautiful snakes. I haven't been this excited about anything in a long time, I love my babies so.

I have the breeders email, and I know he kept notes on them. Please everyone keep your fingers crossed that they are het for amel as I don't think I could wait till F2 to get my snows!

It would be nice if your Motleys are carring hidden genes. It wouldn't surprise me, since they could have both been produced from a Snow Motley depending on what it was bred to.

Snows or Snow Motleys are fairly common these days and the price of one is less than the price of a pair to produce them. You might look around for one and you could have it NOW! :dancer: :dancer:

ecreipeoj said:
Snows or Snow Motleys are fairly common these days and the price of one is less than the price of a pair to produce them. You might look around for one and you could have it NOW

Yes, but not as much fun for either me or the snakes!

I really want the experience of breeding the snakes, probably just once or twice but you never know.

IguanaMama said:
Yes, but not as much fun for either me or the snakes!

I really want the experience of breeding the snakes, probably just once or twice but you never know.
I would recommend breeding Corns to everyone. It adds a whole new dimension to our wonderful hobby. There is nothing like seeing those cute little noses poking out and seeing the outside world for the first time, especially when they are multi-colored.

I was only suggesting that you could get your SNOW fix now! A breeding of a double homo morph, such as a Snow with a double Het. Corn carrying the same genes is a wonderful combination that will give you four different phenotypes in the same clutch if the Odds Gods play fair.

ecreipeoj said:
A breeding of a double homo morph, such as a Snow with a double Het. Corn carrying the same genes is a wonderful combination that will give you four different phenotypes in the same clutch if the Odds Gods play fair.

It's a good thing they won't be mature for a while because that sentence made my totally stressed-out mushy brain spin. :crazy02:

Now I know that to make the snows a reality, I need an amel. Let's, just for agument sake, say that my motley anery is het for amel. Then can I breed it with a motley sunglow het for anery? Is there such a thing? Do sunglows count as amels when breeding to get snows?

I really want a motley sunglow as my next snake either way they are just so pretty.

Yep, motley sunglows are (selectively bred for no white on them) amel motleys.

A motley sunglow het for anery would be a wonderful match. :)

I just got your book (I ordered it from Kathy) but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. :D

IguanaMama said:
It's a good thing they won't be mature for a while because that sentence made my totally stressed-out mushy brain spin. :crazy02:

With Serps book in hand, you will be speaking Corn Snake genetics and Corn Jargon in no time.

I was very privilege to receive a pre-released copy of his next book and it is wonderful! It is amazing how much the Corn World and new genetic knowledge about our beloved Corns has change in only one year. His next book is totally up to date and a must read for everybody interested in knowing about the most up to date proven genetics of our Corns.

Chuck approached his next book in a completely new and fresh way that is the best I have seen so far to give new comers and old alike a grasps on NEW Corn Snake genetics.

You guys are a big help. I often lurch around reading these and learn quite a bit, although I am still quite the novice. I figure, if I ever want to sound smart, I can always pull a "Joe-ism" and just jump into a thread and ask "Is that snake homo for hypo?" ;)

Anyone have one for sale? Male, please!

Serpwidgets said:
OK, I'll start reading, if only I could get my kids to sleep before I'm ready to pass out myself. "GO TO SLEEP!" she screams from the computer desk.

Serpwidgets said:
Yep, motley sunglows are (selectively bred for no white on them) amel motleys.

Thanks. I hope you enjoy it. :D

I have a motley sunglow homo-hypo that's going to get bred to my anery het amel het motley in 2006 I'm soooooo excited about that pairing!!! Grow damn snake, grow!!!!!!

Back