• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do I maintain humidity

OzzysMom

Is there a way to maintain adequate humidity for my corn besides misting his viv every couple of days? It is somthing I am struggling with.

If misting is the only way, should I be misting his substrate and working the moisture in and misting it again?

Thanks in advance.

I would say mist and turn the soil over, and mist again (check more than once a day - until you get a good feel). Or, take a gallon jug, and pour water into the cage as needed (make sure not to pour too much). I use the gallon way, because its faster, and I "water" the cages 2x-3x a week. Keep in mind I only have Ball Pythons as I write this (working on corns everyday). If anyone should object to this method, please let me know. Understand I am not saying make the substrate a "wetlands" but you can more effectively "mist" the cage per se.

*Forgot To Add* I usually put just the slightest bit more where the heat source is, because its results in more humidity, but Corns don't need nearly as much so you might want to put a light sprinkle (which would still be way more than a mist) and see how that works.

First thing I would try is a larger water dish and covering some of the mesh with plastic wrap to limit air flow. If that doesn't bring the humidity to between 35 and 50 then I would add a moist hide. Corns don't require excessive amounts of humidity.

First thing I would try is a larger water dish and covering some of the mesh with plastic wrap to limit air flow. If that doesn't bring the humidity to between 35 and 50 then I would add a moist hide. Corns don't require excessive amounts of humidity.

I agree with this aproach. They don't need excessive amounts.
But the Hygrometer are known to be off too. so check to see it it's correct.

Another way is to simply move your water bowl over your UTH (heat matt), increasing evaporation and humidity

Is this for shedding purposes, or do you live in a really dry climate?

I had a tri-color hoggy who had a difficult shed. So the next time, I'm like, I'm going to raise your humidity! I put in a moist hide, sprayed all his plants, covered the top of the viv with plastic- pretty soon it's like 88% humidity in there! Someone, Barbara I think, told me I was going overboard. I hadn't thought of the possible complications of scale rot from being _too_ humid. So now I've toned it down some. Look at the condensation on the _glass_, not just the humid hide!

MoistHideZee002_600.jpg

I live in Florida, so normally I don't have to worry about low humidity.

I use a small humidifier blowing over the top of the viv when my snake is in shed. Worked great over the winter when the furnace had the house bone dry.

I'd be inclined to wait for a shed - if the shed is clean, then there's no humidity problem.

If there are problems with the shed, I'm with Nanci and my first environmental suggestion would be to put in a humid hide when the snake goes blue next time.

Thank you for your advice. I am still new and learning, and I just purchased a thermometer/hygrometer combo with a probe. I am assuming the probe is what detects not only the temp over the UTH, but also the humidity. Well I am having a difficult time keeping the humidity even above 30%. I misted the substrate and worked it around and misted it again and the humiity only hit 31%. That was last night and when I got home today, the humidity is back down to 20%. Maybe I am not misting enough.

One more thing....... I put in the therm probe over the UTH under the substrate and I just about freakin ! To the touch under that viv, the UTH did not feel hot, but rather it felt just warm.....but the temp was 106 degrees!!!!!!

This is the setup I received with my corn and I am sure it has always been the same.....with only an analog thermometer stuck to the side of the glass in the middle if the viv. I have read a lot of posts with regards to the UTH being hotter than people realize, but I was completely shocked. I think I might just do what TWGarland suggested and put the water dish over the UTH for the time being, until I can get to Home Depot and pick up a dimmer to bring temp down, and it will keep my corn off the UTH until the problem is resolved. I agree that it will likely bring the humidity level up too. I am also going to get a humid hide.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!

Is there a way to maintain adequate humidity for my corn besides misting his viv every couple of days? It is somthing I am struggling with.

If misting is the only way, should I be misting his substrate and working the moisture in and misting it again?

Thanks in advance.

The only advice I can give you is to cover a section of the screen of the tanks with newspaper or something of the like. I just mist though, especially during this winter when the heaters dry everything out...

I also forgot to mention that the water dish I have in the viv is already very large and I have had plastic wrap on top the mesh lid for a week. I also put a light towel on top of the plastic just to hold it in place better. Hasn't made a big difference. So a moist hide it is, and more thorough misting. ;~)

I also forgot to mention that the water dish I have in the viv is already very large and I have had plastic wrap on top the mesh lid for a week. I also put a light towel on top of the plastic just to hold it in place better. Hasn't made a big difference. So a moist hide it is, and more thorough misting. ;~)

Have you tried using different substrates? I found one that I used to use that held the humidity very well. If only I could remember its name....

Well, I am afraid to use anything but aspen at this point. The substrate that was in the viv when I received my corn was coconut husk. Which is great for tropicals because it needs to remain really moist (almost wet), but when it is dry, it is a very fine dust. The day after I got my corn, I changed out the substrate...and when I removed him to change out the substrate, he was completely covered with that coconut husk dust. My hands were brown just from let him run through my fingers. He is a lot happier now with the aspen and it doesn't break down into dust. Like I said previously, I am very new and learning everyday..... but I am afraid to try a different substrate at this point unless I read good things about it.

You can buy a floor tile to sit on top of the UTH until you get a rheostat/thermostat. I've personally seen a UTH get to 120F, and a heat cable to 135F.

Well, I am afraid to use anything but aspen at this point. The substrate that was in the viv when I received my corn was coconut husk. Which is great for tropicals because it needs to remain really moist (almost wet), but when it is dry, it is a very fine dust. The day after I got my corn, I changed out the substrate...and when I removed him to change out the substrate, he was completely covered with that coconut husk dust. My hands were brown just from let him run through my fingers. He is a lot happier now with the aspen and it doesn't break down into dust. Like I said previously, I am very new and learning everyday..... but I am afraid to try a different substrate at this point unless I read good things about it.

The stuff I was talking about was keepers choice. I don't suggest using it, even though I used it, but it holds in moisture extremely well.

and I just purchased a thermometer/hygrometer combo with a probe. I am assuming the probe is what detects not only the temp over the UTH, but also the humidity.

No I don't think it pick up the humidity from the probe. I would buy another hygrometer at Home Depot and check it compare the reading to the one you have. And go with Nanci ideas till you get something to regulate the uth.

Back