• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how do u sex corn snakes?

owen

i know its a lot of trouble but may someone please tell me an accurate way to figure out the sex of corn snakes and if possible post a picture of a male and a female to show the difference thanks so much for your time. i have 2 adults and 4 babys and i need to know there sex.

Corns can be sexed by either "popping" the hatchlings/juveniles, and "probing" sub-adults and adults. Do a search on either of these words, and you'll come up with a lot of good threads.

regards,
jazz

owen said:
sorry but what does popping and probing mean?

As was said, do a search (button's at the top of the page) for the words "popping" and "probing" and you will find the answer.

Also, note that unless you are experienced in doing either, you most certainly should not unless you want to risk seriously injuring the snake.

"Popping" is putting pressure just beneath the snake's vent in an attempt to evert the hemipenes, thus proving a male.

"Probing" is inserting a thin metal probe towards the tail at the lateral base of the vent. The depth that the probe can be inserted will determine gender.

Both techniques should be "taught" to you by an experienced keeper. Trying to do either as a "noob" could injure the animal.

Again, use the forum search function on either terms, and you'll probably see examples of both.

regards,
jazz

oh thanks for the help guys i searched porobing and i figured out how to do poping i think it should be fairly simple so im going to try it on my 4 babys tomorow

jazzgeek said:
Both techniques should be "taught" to you by an experienced keeper. Trying to do either as a "noob" could injure the animal.

regards,
jazz
Jazzgeek is right. Please allow an experienced keeper do this for you. At the very least let them show you how do to it so you do not hurt the snake.

owen said:
oh thanks for the help guys i searched porobing and i figured out how to do poping i think it should be fairly simple so im going to try it on my 4 babys tomorow
Please Please Please, do not do it because you "think" that you have figured it out. You can really hurt the snake if you do not do it properly!
Do not put you wanting to do the "poping" yourself before your snake's health, yes, it is serious!
Have someone explain and demonstrate how it is done before doing it yourself. I would suggest you do it at least once with an experienced Herp. present so that he/she can give you advice or tell you you are doing it well and with no danger of harming the snake.

okay i wont try and pop the corns yet im gonna take em to a vet and ask them to teach me how to do it...but i dont want to pay a huge vet bill does anyone have any idea how much it should cost?

If you have hatchling, no rush to find out sex, female have to be about three years old anyway. Time enough to save money for the vet.

Owen, it seems to me that you are desperate to rush into breeding corn snakes, hence this post and the other asking the average prices (I'm guessing you want to sell the offspring for profit). First, you need to get experience with corns before this even crosses your mind (I'd say wait a year or more). Big breeders do it as their livelihood, but they've got YEARS of experience behind them. Get to know your animals, enjoy them, and research research research! Corns should not be looked at as some get-rich-quick scheme. Also, if the vet bill is something that is out of reach, again, please don't rush into breeding your corns. Chances are the female will need a trip to the vet which may be vital to her survival (not to mention if any other health problems arise even outside of breeding, get them to the vet!).

Chill out, get your animals set up and comfortable around you, then in a year or so when you've saved some money, you know what you're doing, and your snakes are in optimal breeding condition, THEN think about breeding.

Yeah definatly I agree with what your saying. but no im not in a rush to breed corns i was planning on doing it next year but i was going to give away most of the hatchlings to friends so im not doing this for the money thats for sure. and i plan on buy the corn snake manual from kathly love and maybe even the brobe kit if i really get into it.....oh on question in the average lifetime of ur corn if at all how many times will i have to bring it to the vet or it need medical attention?

Thank You

Just like you can't know how often you'll need to go to hospital in your life, so it is with your pets. Maybe never, maybe 20 times! Your corn can easily get to 10 years old, I've heard of 15 and 18 year olds also.

I have 2 cats (mother 10 & daughter 9) and they never had to go to the Vet for medical reasons. I only take them there for their yearly inoculations.
You can never predict these kind of things. This is why you should keep some money aside in case you need to take your animals to the Vet and not just hope for the best and then not take them to get treated when they need it because you can't afford to.

Back