• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you breed stripes

cornscorpfrog

Corns are the best
I only know the basics of corn snakes genetics but could you tell me what corns do you need to breed to get stripes. I know that you can breed stripes together or breed het stripes to get stripes, but how do you start of the stripes and het stripes? if you know what I mean.

Stripe is a simple recessive just like pretty much most of the variations we see in corns today. Other people on the forum can inform you much better than I can so I'd better not jammer on too long. It's at the same gene locus as mmotley so if you breed a stripe and a motley together you'll have results that look like a blend of the 2...or so I believe but I'll let the pro's fill you in a bit more!

cornscorpfrog said:
I only know the basics of corn snakes genetics but could you tell me what corns do you need to breed to get stripes. I know that you can breed stripes together or breed het stripes to get stripes, but how do you start of the stripes and het stripes? if you know what I mean.

Are you asking where stripes came from?

Stripes like everything else except diffusion (bloodred) are simple recessive to the wild type counterpart. All of the genes simply 'showed up' in individual snakes.

If you go back and check things out, caramel was found by Rich in a pet store, Lavender came out of a snow corn I believe, etc.

In order to get stripes you need a snake carrying the 'stripe gene', in either homo or het form. I know you said you know that, but if you're not asking about where stripes came from then I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

Are you asking where stripes came from?
I wanted to put my question simpler but didn't know how the phrase it, but basically yes I was asking "were do stripes come from?"
Sorry I made the question so confusing.

breeding stripes

If I got 1 stripe or het stripe and bred it with a corn with a normal pattern what would the offspring patterns be like? :crazy02:

If the normal parent carries no stripe gene, then all of your offspring will be normal patterned. You need to find two parents that share the stripe gene in some way in order for the babies to exhibit it visually. a het stripe X het stripe, a het stripe X stripe, or a stripe X stripe will all yield stripes.

Just like amel, anery, etc etc, the stripe gene is a genetic mutation that occured. Why... eh, why is grass green? Who knows. But it is a simple recessive gene. Just like amel, if you breed it to a normal that does not carry the amel gene, you will get normals het amel. If you're not sure how recessive genes work, then check out the FAQ section. Joe has done a very good job on explaining how recessive genes work in simple terms that are pretty easy to understand. Once you have that down, then you can go to Serpwidgets genetics tutorial, and that will go a little more in-depth.

Breeding animals or plants to exhibit stripes involves careful selection and breeding practices to enhance and stabilize the desired trait. Here's a more detailed guide on how to achieve this:

In Fish (e.g., Zebra Danios, Guppies)​

1. Selection of Parents:
    • Choose parent fish that already have distinct stripe patterns. The more pronounced and consistent the stripes, the better.
  2. Controlled Breeding Environment:
    • Set up a controlled breeding environment to ensure that only the selected parents breed. This might involve separate breeding tanks.
  3. Breeding Process:
    • Allow the selected fish to breed. In fish like zebra danios or guppies, this process can be relatively quick, but patience is required to see the results in the offspring.
  4. Selection of Offspring:
    • Once the offspring are mature enough to show their patterns, select those with the best stripe patterns for further breeding.
  5. Backcrossing:
    • To stabilize the trait, you might need to breed the best offspring back with one of the original parents (backcrossing) or breed them with each other. This helps reinforce the genetic trait of striping.
  6. Multiple Generations:
    • Continue this process over several generations, always selecting the best striped individuals for breeding.

In Plants (e.g., Variegated Plants)​

1. Selection of Parent Plants:
    • Choose plants that exhibit the desired striped or variegated leaf patterns.
  2. Propagation:
    • Propagate the plants using cloning methods such as cuttings, grafting, or tissue culture to ensure the exact stripe pattern is passed on.
  3. Seed Cross-Pollination:
    • If breeding from seeds, cross-pollinate plants that have the desired traits. Grow the seeds and select seedlings that show the best stripe patterns.
  4. Selective Breeding:
    • Continue to select and breed the best striped plants over multiple generations to stabilize the trait.

General Considerations:​

• Genetic Understanding: It’s important to understand the genetic basis of the stripe patterns. In some cases, stripes can be a simple dominant trait, while in others, they may be influenced by multiple genes (polygenic).
  • Record Keeping: Keep detailed records of each breeding pair and the resulting offspring. This helps track genetic progress and avoid inbreeding.
  • Health and Viability: Ensure that in your quest to breed for stripes, the overall health and viability of the animals or plants are not compromised.

Resources for Further Reading:​

• Selective Breeding Techniques: There are many books and online resources on selective breeding. For example, "The Complete Guide to Guppy Breeding" offers insights specific to fish breeding.
  • Genetics in Breeding: Websites like Genetics Home Reference provide information on the genetic principles involved in traits like striping.
By following these steps and understanding the genetic principles behind the traits you are breeding for, you can successfully breed animals or plants to exhibit the desired stripe patterns.

Back