• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you know when to feed more?

coloradoflower31

coloradoflower31
I got my cornsnake a few months ago. I think he is about 12 inches long, but still very skinny. I have been feeding him a pinky every 5 days. Tonight he acted like he was still very hungry. How do you know when you should start feeding two pinkies?

I appreciate the help.

Corn snakes are pretty skinny. Mine seems super anorexic compared to my ball python. I think you're feeding him the right amount. What do you mean, he acted like he was still hungry?

I just go up every time mine gets bigger. Like when yours get a bit fatter, get pinkies that are a bit fatter. When it's big enough, get fuzzies, and so on. I've never fed mine double of anything. But she doesn't act like she's hungry or anything.

Hopefully some experts will help.

To answer your question, I thought he was still hungry because he tried to bite the paper plate he was on after eating the pinky. Then he just kept looking for more.

Thanks

The general rule is the size of the feeding should be no larger than 1&1/2 times the diameter of the snake and should live a visible lump in the snake for 24 hours . I think feeding two-fers is a little risky. I'd rather see my snakes a little hungry than regurgitating their meal. I think most snakes Will eat more than is good for them.

Snakes, like people, will eat more than is good for them. If he was biting the plate, he was probably reacting to the scent of the mouse on it. That doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't feeding enough. He was just still in hunt mode.

If you don't see a lump then I would feed two pinks. After that, I go up in prey size after I can no longer see a lump.

E.g. after two pinks are no longer visible then I switch to fuzzies, after that's not visible I switch to hoppers, etc. Pinks are the only size that I will feed two of, the rest just feed one until the lump can no longer be seen and then move up.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

There is a small lump after feeding one pinky. It is usually gone by the next day. I guess I will stick with that for now. Thanks for all your help, everyone! I think I just worry because this is my first snake and I want to be sure he is getting the proper care. I am attaching a picture so you can see my baby "Selu".

Attachments

• Selu.jpg
    Selu.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 89
chibitamalove said:
I would say, go with two pinkies! It won't kill your snake, unless you feed him a rat pinkie or something. :grin01:

Actually, rat pinks are more nutritious than mouse pinks. My snakes grow faster when they're eating rat babies. If you're snake's large enough for newborn rat pinks they might fill him up more and help him grow!

On the other hand, if you really want to stick with mice two pinks is more of a transitional feeding thing than one that should be exercised for too long. If he handles two pinkies well start giving him fuzzies. Fuzzies > pinkies

Meh, I was just thinking that the snake might explode or something, (just kidding) if it tried to eat a rat. The snakie is tiny! Yeah, that's just what I meant. I'll move my own snake to rats when she's big enough. Sometimes it's really hard to say what you mean in writing. :/

Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I have decided to stick to one mouse pinky for now since I do see a lump for 24 hours.

Question: I think he might be just over a foot long, can you tell his age by the picture I posted? I am thinking maybe 6 months or close?

Selu is a lovely looking snake, congrats. From the look of the picture i would say stick to the one pinkie for now, but when you think the time is right for him to take two, dont worry too much, as long as you've got conditions in the viv right, ie. temperature gradient and the hot side being close to the 31 degrees celscious mark then he should cope with it fine

Back