• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you use heat tape?!

amanda007

Read, read, read!
I'm so confused! I feel like a real dummy asking, because I'm sure it's simple, but I know there has to be more to it than a strip of flex watt under the tank.

We are considering buying some beautiful motley's hatchlings, and would like to keep them in tubs, in a rack, and as I understand it heat tape is really convenient for this method. Help?

I know, I know. I'm always so full of questions.:wavey:

Heat tape is simple in a complicated way. Here is a link to the Bean Farm.

http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi

If you look under heating it will take you to a page with a link for a pdf on how to hook up heat tape. It isn’t really difficult but does require a little instruction.

Ok, that's easier to understand. But if I'm using 4 ft. of tape to heat 3 or 4 small tubs, do I just need to wire one end of the tape? Or will it not keep a consistent heat from the wired end to the un-wired one?

I don't use that crap! I use zoo med heat wire. Keeps my racks a consistent 85 in the back and 75 up front! PERFECT for corns and colubrids

I just don't like how many times you hear about it overheating and stuff and the set up is annoying

heat tape is actually labeled as one of the most efficient ways of preventing damage at the fresh water pipes.These can be wrapped in the heat tape from the installation process, or they could undergo a procedure of thermo-isolation afterwards.

Heat tape is really not that hard to set up. especially if you order the wiring kit with it, then all you really have to do is clamp the wires on at one end and slide the insulating covers over the connection. I definitely wouldn't call it crap. I use both heat tape and the zoo med heat cable but I like the heat tape better especially for larger snakes because it is wider and provides a bigger warm spot than heat cable does for basking in. Either way you still need a thermostat or rheostat to keep the temps consistent, so it doesn't overheat.

heat tape is actually labeled as one of the most efficient ways of preventing damage at the fresh water pipes.These can be wrapped in the heat tape from the installation process, or they could undergo a procedure of thermo-isolation afterwards.

Ahahaha....this is without a doubt some sort of spammer or bot. Someone get rid of this guy...

Back