• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you weigh your snakes?

skittledoo

I'm adding a hatchling to my collection and I want to record his weight as he grows. I'm used to weight scales that weigh in pounds, but where do you find scales that weigh in grams? What have you found is the best way to get wiggly snakes to cooperate during weighing time? Also... How long after feeding do you usually wait to weigh your snakes?

I'm adding a hatchling to my collection and I want to record his weight as he grows. I'm used to weight scales that weigh in pounds, but where do you find scales that weigh in grams? What have you found is the best way to get wiggly snakes to cooperate during weighing time? Also... How long after feeding do you usually wait to weigh your snakes?

I got mine at Wal-Mart for $20 something. You got to look around.

I use a container that bigger than the snake with a lid. Weigh that on the scale and with my scale I can clear it back to zero with teh container on it (scale) thewn just place the snake in and place the lid on but not lock to help keep the snake in. It's tricky and you have to do it sort of fast cause the snake will crawl out.

you can get a regular food scale at walmart for around $20 that will weigh in oz..grams..lbs or whatever else. just like nanci and lenny said, find a container that will hold him or her, place the container on the scale, drop it back down to zero and then put the snake in.

I have a simple digital food scale for walmart. I just use a large bowl and place the snake in head first and quickly put the body in. I can usually get the weight before the snake rights itself and slithers out. I"ve tried weighing them in their feeding tubs but the tubs are too large compared to the scale to be accurate.

We got ours at wal-mart and bought a tuperware like container. We put the container on the scale zero it out and weigh! Easy as pie!

I have a bigger scale with a clear bowl and all the yearlings-adults are expected to sit and stay put while I record their weight. They learn fast.

Awesome. Thank you so much. I'm so anxious to bring this little bloodred guy home. There will definitely be pics.

I used to borrow the local crack dealer's scale, until I noticed the snakes acting weird. Then my wife pointed out that it may look suspicious carrying bags into his crib all the time.

Seriously I bought mine at Walmart. Works great.

Last edited:
Back