• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how fast do corns grow?

Had1nowwant1

I've had my 2 corns for almost a year now and i was just wondering, how fast do they grow? They shed pretty regularly probably once every 2 months maybe closer to every month. Ive been trying to feed them every week but sometimes its been every 2 weeks, twice it was 3 weeks. I havnt tried to measure them in awhile because its hard to do because they dont want to stopping moving and stay straight.

Had1nowwant1 said:
I've had my 2 corns for almost a year now and i was just wondering, how fast do they grow? They shed pretty regularly probably once every 2 months maybe closer to every month. Ive been trying to feed them every week but sometimes its been every 2 weeks, twice it was 3 weeks. I havnt tried to measure them in awhile because its hard to do because they dont want to stopping moving and stay straight.

Well, I'm concern now, why the irregular feeding schedule. And with that schedule they will grow slowly.
Growth depends on feeding schedule and size and traits of the snake so their is no true answer to your question.
There is a program you can download to help you size your snake That I thinks Serpwidgets developed.
But you need to start to chart feeding and such.

well the reason for the irregular feeding schedule is that iv been busy with school and i started doin some "bad" things that alot of people my age do and then i sorta lost interest in my snakes but now im gonna start feeding them every week. i just got more frozen mice last week but they were to small for my bigger snake so i guess in about a month im gonna move my snakes up to bigger mice like hoppers for one and bigger fuzzies for the other.
im also moving the bigger snake from a 10g to a 20gl tank soon.

Had1nowwant1 said:
well the reason for the irregular feeding schedule is that iv been busy with school and i started doin some "bad" things that alot of people my age do and then i sorta lost interest in my snakes but now im gonna start feeding them every week. i just got more frozen mice last week but they were to small for my bigger snake so i guess in about a month im gonna move my snakes up to bigger mice like hoppers for one and bigger fuzzies for the other.
im also moving the bigger snake from a 10g to a 20gl tank soon.

There's no excuse for not taking proper care of any animal. If you can't take responsibility, then you shouldn't have them, PERIOD.

At least you have admitted your mistakes and are going to take care of your pet correctly now.
Maybe having your snakes as an interest will keep you on the straight and narrow. If not, for the welfare of your snakes, you should rehome them to someone who will be able to care for them properly.
Good luck.

and if you want to focus on caring for them, you've come to the right place. there's so many helpful threads and people here... so don't be afraid to ask questions :)

I am glad to hear that you are trying to make ammend.
I have agree with Gunner, if you see that you are going back to the "old ways", for the Snakes sake, rehome them to someone who will be able to care for them properly.
recycling goddess is 200% right, people here are so nice and helpful, this is amazing and don't be put off by some comments as they are meant in the nicest possible way, this Forum is full of passionate people!
Sometimes some people need a kick up the **** to get the point ;)
Good luck and don't forget to make these snakes happy.... FEED THEM REGULARLY and everything that goes with it!
LOL, that just made me think of the Little Shop of Horror..... FEED ME!

yea i know this is a good place to get focused about taking better care of my snakes iv been a member on here for about a year but i havnt been on here in awhile

What were the questions? I'm not sure from reading above but if you repost them, I'll take a stab for you.

Well the regular tip for what and how big an item to feed your snake is something that's 1½ times as thick as the snake at its fattest part. If that means a pinkie is the right size, then your snake should be fed every 5 days, if a hopper corresponds to this width then every 7 days might do.

This is not a rule but a guideline and might help you pick a sized item and a feeding frequency that will help your snakes stay on track with their growth.

I find weighing is a much more accurate way of keeping a track of my snakes growth rather than measuring length. Photos also help. Take a photo of your snake next to a known item (deck of cards for example) and track it's growth that way. I like the weighing method personally.

Good luck. I'm glad you've decided to focus on your animals welfare...but remember, if you find you can't look after them, they better off living somewhere else.

Cheers,

It totally depends on how much and often you feed them, coupled with genetic factors. I have a 6½ month old who is 136g and takes small adult mice but he is a freak!! I'm sure others can tell you about their snakes that grow even faster than that. Then you might find someone who no matter what they try to do, their snake will not put on weight and they're struggling to break 40g by 12 months.

next time they shed measure the shed.this will give a guide. they all grow at different rates depending on feeding and such. for instance my 6 month old is already 22 inches, yet i know some 8 month olds who are struggling to make that

gunner said:
next time they shed measure the shed.this will give a guide.

It will give you a general idea of whether the snake is growing, but not of the snake's actual length. Sheds can stretch by up to 30%.

princess said:
It totally depends on how much and often you feed them, coupled with genetic factors. I have a 6½ month old who is 136g and takes small adult mice but he is a freak!! I'm sure others can tell you about their snakes that grow even faster than that. Then you might find someone who no matter what they try to do, their snake will not put on weight and they're struggling to break 40g by 12 months.
LOL.... when I first read your post about 6 1/2 months at 136g I freaked out, I thought that mine who is only 38g was waaayyyyy underweight.
How come yours is so big? What he just a hungry little one that grew really fast? How long is he?
Not being funny, but are you sure he is only 6 1/2 months?

BeckyG said:
It will give you a general idea of whether the snake is growing, but not of the snake's actual length. Sheds can stretch by up to 30%.
That is very true. By mesuring the shed mine was 26" but mesuring her with Serpwidget, I found out (ok, pic wasn't totally above her) that she was more like 21".
You can find the details of the post I am talking about by going to http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31138

they are massively different.
i have an 05 creamsicle at about 110 grams, and a snow from the same month at about 8/9 as he was a real bad feeder.

cornmorphs said:
they are massively different.
i have an 05 creamsicle at about 110 grams, and a snow from the same month at about 8/9 as he was a real bad feeder.
110g!! Mine is only 38g but feeds really well... weird?

i do the "bad" things, and serioulsy it makes me take care of my animals even more. I just stare and admire even more. So its no excuse. If you dont have time for your little guy, then sell him to someone who can.

Back