• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How hard is it to sell baby cornsnakes?

Green_Snake

Hullo,

I'm considering breeding an Anery het hypo, stripe and possible het amel, or an amel het ghost to my motley, who is not known to have any hets (I'm not sure though). Will these babies be hard to sell? I'm not looking to get a large profit this time, just to enjoy the fun of breeding and hatching corn snakes....

Thanks,
Greeney

I think one should have possible buyers lined up whether individuals, pet shop or shows. I think to make money on it you would have to produce lots of snakes and sell that many.
It was a daunting thought last year after I bred one of my amels all of a sudden I realized she could lay 20 eggs and then she could double clutch. If those eggs hatched how many mice I would have to have to feed the hatchlings. Luckily for me sort of the eggs didn't make it and she didn't double clutch. I'm giving it a lot of thought before I attempt breeding this year. susang

Thanks!!!!!. I'm hoping to have some possible buyers before I breed.... I called the local reptile shop, but they breed all of their snakes...... Hmmm...

It is really hard to sell cornsnakes. Now that my friend moved I could sell to the stores she sold to, but that is a break even thing. Even if you go to a show and get a table doesn't gaurantee you'll sell anything. I have rats, mice and hamsters. The rats breed like crazy and I can't sell them, maybe two or three a month to local coop for pets, I get $2.50 a piece, and a hassle everytime. They don't like the color, they dont' want red eyes they don't want a female in estrus. I can give all extras to local pet shop for feeders and yes that is give or trade for mice, I have mice. You know what they will buy hamsters, the meanest nastiest rodent there is. Even then what $2.00 a hamster. Seriously breed if you want the experience but not with the idea to sell.

I'm not looking to get a large profit this time, just to enjoy the fun of breeding and hatching corn snakes....

I have not made profit yet... Everything essentially goes to help cover the costs associated, which I have not done yet.. If you don't have a source of buyers, it might be easier and less hassle not to breed..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Cool!! That helps. I might have to wait a year or too.... that's probably best, because the snake I've fallen in love with is WAY too small to breed :)

-Greeney

I would think it would also depend on what morph, wouldn't it? I know bloodreds are in fairly high demand. It wouldn't be as hard selling those would it? Just curious.

It's definitely not a profitable venture, unless you're really big-time. But if you're looking for the enjoyment, it can be worth it. One thing to keep in mind, though. Even if you have agreements in place with local pet stores, they don't always hold up. Management can change, someone else can beat you to it, etc. There's no way anyone can say how hard or easy it will be because every place is different, as far as going the wholesale route (around here, it's pretty much a race until their inventory is full).

It does take a good amount of work to get them all out the door, but only you can decide if it's worth it in the end. Just make sure you start slow and stick with only breeding one female until you get a feel for how much of a market you have. Then you go from there.

Even if you have agreements in place with local pet stores, they don't always hold up.

Yup, I've had that happen. I usually sell all of mine to my local reptile shop and on two occasions over the years they weren't able to take the hatchlings but could only tell me AFTER the eggs had hatched. One one occasion the pet reptile market pretty much stopped after a press scare on salmonella, and the second time, one of their bulk customers decided to breed their own Corns without telling anyone in advance.

If you're going to sell locally to individual buyers, then it very much depends what's already available. You might want to keep an eye on what morphs your local shop is breeding and make sure that you're producing something different. You might also want to look at their prices and think about whether you'll be undercutting them and so potentially souring your relationship with them as a customer.

Also, when selling direct you'll have strangers in and out of your house to look at the snakes. And you need to be prepared to refuse a sale if someone seems really unsuitable as an owner.

You might be able to set yourself up with a FedEx business account so you can sell further afield, over the internet, but that in itself isn't an easy process (the Search function should throw you up a few threads on shipping).

It has to be said that the first season of breeding, you usually don't cover your costs. You'll have to buy housing, heating, stats and food for, say, 10 hatchlings per clutch if it's a first clutch (more if the snakes are older).

That all sounds really negative - sorry! However, it's best to be aware of potential pitfalls and props to you for thinking ahead. If you can get all the ducks in a row, then it's an amazing process.

It also depends on how much your prepared to sell for. If you sell high end morphs for $10 each there will be people falling over themselves to buy them. If they are norms and you want $100 you won't see a soul...
Over here a norm sells for about $90 but the shop will only want to pay about $15-$20 to you.
MIKE

I breed my corns not to make a profit. I look at it from the point of view that its my hobby which just happens to make a few bucks each year.
Having said that, I have a standing arrangement with someone who takes all my hatchlings at 10 bucks (R100.00 South African) a pop regardless of which Morph they are, they take all my hatchlings every year whether its 10, 40, or 70 hatchlings.
They have in fact already asked about how many hatchlings I will have available for them this year.
They also take all my excess rats and mice at 25c (R2.50c South African) a piece.
This arrangement suits me.

Ciao

You said that you were going to breed an Anery or an Amel to your motley. Does that mean that the motley is normal color. If so unless there are recessive genes you are not aware of, all of the babies will be normal colored. They may or may not be motley or striped.

You can sell the babies if you don't set your price too high. Right now, most of the breeders are running out of the 2007 babies. You may have to go in and ask a few times but I'd bet you could find a pet shop or two that would take them for $10 or $15 each.

I'm lucky enough to have a pet store that wants my babies and gives me credit for them at half what they sell them for. That's the best, IMO. There are a few other pet stores that I can go to, as well, but there are other breeders around here so it's a race to get to the stores first. I also am a member of the local herp club and can advertise and sell that way. Since I do have high end morphs and hybrids, there is a local following of breeders who are interested in expanding their bloodlines, so we can work something out. All in all, it comes out ok. Still, I look at it like if they don't sell, I am able to keep them until they do, not like puppies and kittens. I can house and feed 100+ hatchlings for months if need be. Money certainly isn't the issue.

I have been researching about breeding and genetics, and it's all fascinating and I'd love to try it someday. However, that thought of "What the heck will I do with all those babies?!?" is really daunting. I've decided not to try it until I'm in a position to house and feed them all indefinitely if necessary. (Right now this is not a hard decision, since only one of my snakes is old enough to breed anyway!)

Good luck.

A brief history of my snake sales..
2003 - produced 16 babies, kept 1, wholesaled the rest to the same person who helped me get started and taught me a lot (like how to pop the babies) ...made less money than I spent on hobby.
2004- produced 20 babies, sold some to the same person, a few more to pet store. Made less money than I spent on hobby,
2005... produced 3 clutches, about 55 babies. Kept a few, sold a bunch, made less than I spent on hobby,
2006- produced 3 clutches, about 60 babies. .. Sold a few at shows, sold a few at pet stores, sold a few by advertising in local paper. Sold one online... made less than I spent on hobby (bought several snakes, racks, spent a bit on shows, advertising..)
2007- produced 4 clutches, rebred some of the females and got a few second clutches, roughly about 100 snakes. Spent more on mice, show fees, etc. Made several sales online. Still made no money (but would have if I hadn't bought more snakes and caging systems...)
2008 - ???
My point is don't do it unless you love the work, have room for the babies (they will not all sell right away) and are crazy. I don't think anybody who breeds corns does it for the money...

What I did the first year was sit down and figure out how many hatchlings I thought I would have and what would be the lowest price I would sell them. And start subtracting from that what the highest price you might have to buy feeders at and where you will keep them if none sell. I worked at a petstore so venue wasn't a problem. However we also sold at the local shows the first year. We are appparently rare in the hobby, because we do make money. Not a lot of money, but some. However I also breed several different species of reptiles....so if one doesn't do as well one season there are others that pick up the slack. You just don't want to go over board the first year and end up with more than you can handle. Start with one clutch at the time.

Thanks everybody!!! This really helps. I currently have 2 snakes, and will be testing my limits to get a 3rd to breed.... I'm thinking of waiting a few years, until I'm out of this house, and living in my own space before I breed, so I won't drive everybody crazy with snakes :rofl: lol Anyways, the female that I've fallen in love with is 30 grams, so it's quite a while until she's breedable...

That sounds like a good choice. Even though it means you will not be doing business with me after all, I commend you for being mature enough to think about looking before you leap!

Back