• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long can/should a snake be left unattended (vacation)?

Bree

Obviously, the best answer is to not be left unattended... But I am flying home over the holidays and will be gone for two weeks.

I have someone lined up to bird-sit, but her husband refuses to have a snake in the house. This is my first semester over here so I do not yet know very many people outside of my classes, and of the few people I know who a.) might be willing to snake-sit and who b.) I would trust and c.) might be sticking around town or not be gone as long as I will be... all have cats. So I worry about a cat somehow clawing open the screen top and getting my little girl, in addition to other worries such as a curious holiday visitor opening the tank, etc. etc.

She is pretty self-sufficient and would just need her water, humidity, and temps checked. Her heat mat is on a thermostat so her temps are always fine. The only care I foresee her actually needing would be a light mist or a water change.

I am wondering if it might not actually be safer to just let her stay home with an extra water bowl? She wouldn't have be stressed by the moving around then and there wouldn't be any danger of escape or anything. The only thing is that no one would be checking on her "just in case." And that worries me, too. (What if the power goes out? What if the air becomes very dry? etc. etc.)

So which is the better/safer option? Thank you for your opinions.

Have you considered getting a professional pet sitter that will stop by your house and check on her? I found one here that will do it for just ten bucks a visit. How big of a tank do you have her in and how secure is the top you are worried about the cats clawing through?

Have you considered getting a professional pet sitter that will stop by your house and check on her? I found one here that will do it for just ten bucks a visit. How big of a tank do you have her in and how secure is the top you are worried about the cats clawing through?

That is a good suggestion! Unfortunately, all I can think of is "What if they forget to latch the lid?" etc. etc. This is especially so with someone I do not know.

She is in a 10 gallon right now until after the holidays. It is a sliding screen top, with wire screening. It's probably not too realistic to imagine a cat clawing it open, but it is only held in with that rubber tubing pressed into a groove on the underside of the lid... Maybe if he was determined a cat could pull it up? It is kept from sliding open by a single peg, so a cat could definitely paw that out and possibly slide the lid open that way. I was thinking a belt or some sort of tie-down going all the way around the tank might keep it secure, provided it gets put back on if removed for some reason.

I have 5 cats and no issues. But I keep my snakes in tubs, so they can't get in. Even if one of the cats was to somehow pull down one of the tubs and push it around the floor they can't get in. So, my idea is, leave your snake with one of your cat friends and get a temporary vacation tub for the snake. My cats honestly don't even notice my active snow girl, they only care about my anery and my ball python.

Bree - The problem is not the cat clawing through but falling through the screen top. My daughter's cat was sitting on the top of our 20L gallon tank when the screen gave way and the cat fall into the snake tank.

I can tell you what I did when my family and I left for a 2 week vacation. I fed my snakes 4 days before or the day before I left and put more water then normal in their water bowls.

Like you I do not have anybody I trust to look after my snakes so I just did the best I could and that is all you can do also. What I am trying to say is I would just leave the snake at your home.

I'm with Fatman. I usually don't worry for a week, but more than a week and my parents come by to check/change water every 2 or 3 days. However, I'm in ideal situation where my Mum loves snakes and I have trouble keeping her away!

I'd think that leaving yours where it is would be preferable to shifting it around. I'd add an extra water bowl, to minimise the risk of the snake pooping in both while you're away.

you could also call around and see if any of the vets are willing to do boarding for a small fee. for 2 weeks they wouldn't even need to feed it, just make sure the water is fresh.

Thanks for your replies! Great ideas, too.

Boarding could be something to look into... There is one exotic vet about an hour away that I know of, but I took my birds there and let's just say I will not be back! Maybe I could check out the other exotic vet that is further away.

I like the idea of getting a cat-proof vacation tub for her, if I do have her stay with someone. I don't know why I didn't think about that danger with the screen top! The screen in it is pretty new because my dog sat on it on my road trip over here. Bunny had a fun few miles up in the passenger seat until we could find a pet store!

I am glad that leaving her doesn't strike anyone as abusive. I may do that after all, with an extra bowl of water.

If only I could taker her along!

Back