• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long do you leave the mouse?

bobknaptor

Divalicious Member
So, I'm not panicking yet at all.... it's only the first time I've tried to feed my new little man. I put the tiniest pinkie I could find in with him about 5 hours ago. He's moved it.... but he hasn't eaten it. How long should I leave it before I take it out and throw it away?

Also, I noticed that underneath where he moved it to, the paper towel he's on is all wet. Should I suspect that this is just mouse juice? or could it be he tried to eat it and regurged? I've never had a snake regurge before.... so I don't know what it looks like. The Mayor always eats his down as soon as I put the mouse in his feeding box, so the mouse has never gone juicey.

Thanks for the help!

I don't leave mice in with the snake for more than an hour. If they don't eat it in an hour I take it out and give it to another snake. I try the non-eater another day. Some people recommend leaving the mouse in overnight but I haven't had one eat by that technique. I get up in the morning and find the mouse still in with the snake.
Have you tried pinky heads or headless pinkies? That worked for me with a non-feeder.
How long have you had the new guy? Maybe he needs to settle in before trying to feed.

I just got him yesterday morning... I'm not worried about him being a non-eater yet. ;) mostly I'm just worried about the mouse going bad in the summer heat and making the little guy sick.

No, I wouldn't give it your other snake for a couple of reasons. Firstly, a snake can refuse food because they can smell something wrong with it so there is no point giving it to another snake. Secondly, your new snake should be in quarantine so you should def not give a mouse that it has been in contact with to another snake. I know it's probably doubtful that your new snake has any parasites etc but it's better to be safe than sorry. Also, I would guess that your new snake isn't eating because he'd still be settling into his new home.

As for how long to leave, if it's quite warm where you are, then I wouldn't leave the mouse for any longer than a couple of hours. I have left mice in overnight before and it has worked but I would only do that when the weather is a bit cooler and there are less bacteria, spores etc floating about.

JMO though...

Thanks everybody. Ok, I took the mouse out last night, and when I did, it looked like half of its body was crushed (and it wasn't when i put it in). Also the fluid on the paper towel was a yellowish brown color. Do you suppose Sal tried to eat it and regurged? or do you think maybe he constricted it and it (ew) popped? Sorry for the gross picture, but I thought it might help to understand what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• picture_0579.jpg
    picture_0579.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 50
He's probably not eating because he is not used to his new home. Let him settle in for about a week and then try feeding him.:)

To me...that mouse just looks like it was decaying. I have had some that look like that after being thawed for a couple of hours. I think that the F/T mice start decaying quicker than the fresh killed ones. I have also noticed the F/T ones pop easier than fresh killed. Was the pinky totally covered in saliva? If not, then it probably was not a regurge.

Back