• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how long for digestion

atm4747

i have a question in general how long does it take a snake to digest a mouse and should you wait till it poops to pick it up my adult corn eats 2 to 3 adults she would probley eat more but im afraid of overfeeding her and i swear a few hours later it is digested is this normal and i just recently got 2 babies feed for the first time yesturday ate 2 pinkies apiece and acted like they wanted more but no visiable but today thanks for any advice in advance and god bless april

First of all... prey items should be no more than 1.5 x the girth of the snake. If Your adult wants more, try small rats? You should be able to see a food lump in the snake for a few days aswell...

As for the digestion period, I leave them 48-72 hours before handling. But i have still seen them poop the day before another feed.

You should see a lump immediately after feeding. If you see a lump then you have fed enough. Many snakes will continue to eat due to being opportunistic eaters. In the wild prey may only come along or be found every couple of weeks to once a month. Most snakes will gorge themselves when they can. Most will regurgitate when they have ate too much which can be dangerous to their health.

In general it takes non-venomous snakes 7 days to completely digest a meal. Venomous snakes start the digestion process when they inject venom and can digest a meal in about 4 days. What I mean by completely digest is all tissue that can be digested is absorbed into the body.

As a rule of thumb most herpers will not handle their snakes for about 48 hours after feeding. This allows the digestion process to fully begin and the food to move out of the stomach. This lowers the risk of regurgitation.

Hope this answers your questions.

Mike Pinkston

I've been 'searching' the forum for this topic. Had a similar question...about how long after eating does a cornsnake poop? We fed my daughter's little one for the first time on Friday night (three days after arrival, but 7 days after his last feeding). He ate one pinkie. I think he might've done well with two, as there was hardly a bump afterwards, but as I'd thawed only one feeder, and it was his first meal after his big move, I thought I'd leave him with that (figured a small dinner was better than a regurg). I'd like to feed him again tonight (two this time), but he hasn't pooped yet...I don't think. I've looked through the aspen shavings, and can't find any waste, but maybe I didn't look well enough...do they like to defecate while burrowed? Certainly it must be okay to feed again before he poops? Does a snake's digestive system function similar to ours, in that eating stimulates the bowels? Do snakes ever get constipated? (Oh, I'll go look that one up...just a question that occured to me this moment). :) (All these questions...I'm starting to sound like my daughter! Why does...? How come...? Does this....? What's that.....?) :laugh:

those were some really good question would defiantly like to hear the answers

one more question i have is when you feed i know the mouse/rat should be 1.h times the girth of the snake but how many should you feed him/her

Well, I typed 'constipation' into the search window and got lots of great reads. Also found out that snakes do like to poop in their substrate, as well as water dishes and 'best suits'!

BOO! said:
I've been 'searching' the forum for this topic. Had a similar question...about how long after eating does a cornsnake poop? We fed my daughter's little one for the first time on Friday night (three days after arrival, but 7 days after his last feeding). He ate one pinkie. I think he might've done well with two, as there was hardly a bump afterwards, but as I'd thawed only one feeder, and it was his first meal after his big move, I thought I'd leave him with that (figured a small dinner was better than a regurg). I'd like to feed him again tonight (two this time), but he hasn't pooped yet...I don't think. I've looked through the aspen shavings, and can't find any waste, but maybe I didn't look well enough...do they like to defecate while burrowed? Certainly it must be okay to feed again before he poops? Does a snake's digestive system function similar to ours, in that eating stimulates the bowels? Do snakes ever get constipated? (Oh, I'll go look that one up...just a question that occured to me this moment). :) (All these questions...I'm starting to sound like my daughter! Why does...? How come...? Does this....? What's that.....?) :laugh:
yea, they will poo where ever, when ever, i have had a snake go about 2-3 feeding with out waste before, every snake is diffrent...

Back