• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long should I keep my heat pad/lamp on?

error11

I got a corn snake on Sunday (yay!) and I was wondering, how long should I keep my heat pad/lamp on for? Should I keep them both on all the time or just one on at one time of the day or something like that? Help would be much appreciated! :)

I’m still pretty new at the whole heating of my snake’s home. But from my research an under the tank heater is a good source of heat. The lamp is also nice for the snake’s light cycle. Snakes need day and night. If you use your lamp make sure you have a day and night bulb for it. With using both you need a thermometer with a probe so u can test the heat of the substrate, the combination of both or the under the tank heater can over heat that side of the tanks substrate and can cause your snake to burn. With this devise you should be able to determine the length of time you will need to have your under the tank heating pad or lamp. Hope this information helps.

I'd say u dont need a heat lamp if you are using a heat mat. Corn Snakes do not need a light source. As far as how long...you can leave it on 24/7, controlled by a thermostat so that your snake has cool side and a warm side and can regulate its body temp

I use both, though no, you don't NEED both. I have a heat lightbulb for night but that is because the room temp fluctuates at night and it gives it an extra boost if it gets cold. I usualy either turn the mat off of way down for brumation and leve the light on for a little heat. Do you have a thermostat on your mat? If you don't, they can get up to 90 F.
You can use both, though I recomend turning the light off in the day if it is warm in the day where you live.

I usually use the lamp during the day (along with a full spectrum light) and UTH at night. My UTH doesn't get very warm, so it's quite nice that it's usually about 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit lower in the tank at night (not ambient temp though. Ambient is probably around 75 at night, but on the carpet it's warmer). During the day the lamp gets it up to about 85 on the warm side, and at night the tank is about 83 or 84. With both of these, i'm able to maintain a pretty constant temp.

Back