• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long should I wait to feed my new snake?

Bree

I bought my first snake yesterday and am wondering how long I should wait to feed her. I forgot to weigh her before I put her in her new house and haven't wanted to bother her again just yet as she is settling in, but she is very small/young. From what I have read she should probably be fed every 5-6 days, but I have also read to wait a week before feeding a brand new snake. I don't know how long it's been since she has eaten at the breeder's, and I don't want to make her wait too long as she is such a tiny thing. What do you all suggest? Thanks!

I usually wait about half a week. Sometimes as long as a week if the snake seems very nervous.

I also avoid handling for as long as a month to let them settle in, though that is probably overkill. I'd still reccomend waiting about 2 weeks, or 2 successful feedings, before you handle.

I'd wait 5-7 days, with no handling, then feed. If she's out exploring at 5 days, that should be fine. Then let her digest for two or three days before handling. Actually, I'd probably get three meals into her, every five days, before doing any handling for fun. The MOST important thing is to establish her as a reliable feeder, and to do that, she needs to live as stress-free a life as possible.

I fed my little one the night I brought her home. You can see the lump in her belly here:

Corn8-12-2010004.jpg

And I have handled her a couple times a day every day since bringing her home, aside from 24 hours after she ate:

Corn081310007.jpg

If you give it a couple of days, I am sure it will be fine.

I always try to feed my new snakes the very first night I get them, unless they are shipped. If shipped, I do give them a few days to settle in.

Keep in mind, I am about the only one on this board who does this - everyone else is much more cautious than I am in feeding and allowing their snakes to settle.

So since it's your _first_ snake, you're better off not taking any chances with it and getting off to a bad start...

So since it's your _first_ snake, you're better off not taking any chances with it and getting off to a bad start...

This is not bad advice at all...

I just want to show that snakes (Corns, especially) are sometimes more resiliant and stable than we give them credit for.

It is NEVER a bad idea to allow them to settle. They can go for weeks without eating with no ill effects.

I just do things a bit differently.

Thank you for all the quick replies!

I think I will give her about 5 days before trying to feed her, depending on how comfortable she seems to be at that time. I will wait on handling for a couple feedings as well. She seems to be pretty outgoing so far... She was out-and-about busily exploring her new house last night, and has been peeking her head out of her hides tonight to watch everything that's happening. While she was being held briefly for pictures before I put her into her new house she seemed very sweet and pretty relaxed.

Thank you for the variety of replies. Since she is my first snake I do want to be extra careful and make sure I do everything right for her, but it is also comforting to know that she's probably not quite as fragile as I am treating her and to not stress out too much! ;)

Back