• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long 'til they hatch? They're rather yellow...

lisajo

I have two corn snakes that I have had since they were babies. Last year I learned they were boy & girl! I tried without luck to keep the eggs alive. My girl, Secret, had eggs again about 1 month ago. I have tried my best to follow all instructions, but the hardest thing was to keep the humidity level up. Anyway, I have two (or 3, or 4, or 5!) questions. How long from the time she laid her eggs to the time they would hatch? Also, they are sort of yellow. A few are rather dark yellow, almost brown. How can I tell if they are alive in there? They are not indented at all. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
P.S. I'm sorry if this is a repeat thread; my PC is soooo slooow that it takes forever to get from one thread to another. I finally gave up and decided to ask what I need!

Lisajo

first of all, NEVER TURN THE EGGS

you can see if they are fertile by turning of the light's, and candle them
candle_b.jpg

usually the eggs should be a healthy white color, if they are really yellow, the are usually slugs
slugs_s.jpg

first of all, NEVER TURN THE EGGS

you can see if they are fertile by turning of the light's, and candle them
candle_b.jpg

If you see veins in the egg, it is fertile, if not then better luck next time

usually the eggs should be a healthy white color, if they are really yellow, the are usually slugs
slugs_s.jpg

It will normally take about 9 weeks from laying to hatching. Creamy white to 'slightly' yellowish are normal colours for fertile eggs but if yours are verging on brown then I'm not so hopeful for them. Keep them in good incubating conditions until they start to mould up and go green/purple/furry just in case.

The longest time recorded for a successful hatch was 120 days but that's an extreme- you'd aim at 8-10 weeks for a normal clutch in normal conditions.

Thanks for your response

Thank you for your answer to my questions. Some of the eggs are very yellow while others are just slightly so. I really don't have much hope, as they seem to be getting more and more yellow as time goes on. They are rather soft and I'm afraid to handle them to put the to a light, so I'd rather just leave them and hope. Since I first wrote, one of them has caved in, however most of them are still somewhat yellow and not dented in. I don't know what else I can do to keep them (if they even are) alive. I guess, from the responses I've read, I still have a few more weeks to wait. Once again, thanks for your help.
Lisajo

What sort of medium are you incubating them in? Perlite, moss, vermiculite? If you're not using any medium, it might explain why you're having such a hard time keeping the humidity up.

Princess has good info, the one thing i would watch out for is if you let the eggs go till they mold, hopefully by that time the others have hatched. Mold jumps to other eggs. Even fertile ones.

Back