• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long to wait to hold

natfoth

Snake Lover
Heya guys, i bought me a new corn snake the yesterday :D Its kind of a light Anery color with a slight orange hue to it. But i was just wondering how long should i wait till i can hold it for a few mins? I heard one week without any touching but i wasn't sure how accurate that was. Any feedback would help Thanks :D

About a week is what's usually recommended.

Sounds like a beautiful beastie!

How much would it affect the snake if i started holding him 5 mins a day say in 5 days instead of a week?

I got Autumn when he was 3 weeks old and handled him from day one, although not always recommended, he has never had a problem being handled, has never bitten and it's made difficult feeds and health problems easier to deal with over the years.
I think it helped that he was well housed in the store and had almost identical housing when I got him home so he seemed already settled and happy.

My local pet store here in NE Scotland. They are great, we don't have any local rep vets in the area but they help me out with anything I need.

thats cool, i need to see if theres a rep vet around me. I know theres like 6 vets around so i just have to do some research

How much would it affect the snake if i started holding him 5 mins a day say in 5 days instead of a week?
It might stress him to the point where he doesn't eat (worst case scenario).

Honestly, those two days won't make any difference to you, but they could make all the difference to him. He needs to be absolutely quiet and left to get used to the new sights, smells and movement in his new home.

Don't worry - they live 15+ years, so you'll be spending plenty of time with him in the end!

My local pet store here in NE Scotland. They are great, we don't have any local rep vets in the area but they help me out with anything I need.

Totally OT, but Hotdiggity! My husband is from Scotland. Born in Glasgow, raised in Edinburgh, where we were married. We honeymooned in Inverness (in March of '99). I got hypothermia at Loch Ness/Castle Urquhart, where the only other people there on that blustery day were from the same PacNW state I'm from, which is a long, long way from Scotland.... Good times! *grins*

Back