• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how many

dw662002

ok so i have about 18 snakes that eat ranging from a hopper down to a pinky and am expecting 2 of my adlt females to drop clutches for me. i was wanting to try my hand at breeding my own feeders. i have never bred any kind of rodents so any help/advice would be appreciated. my question is what would be a good size colony to start? thanks in advance

I have mice in a 30x12x15 glass tank, 1 male and 4 females.

and rats in a 24x15x15 glass tank, 1 male and 1 female.

another female rat in a 24x15x15 glass tank.

i move the male rat from female to female.

but i only have 5 cornsnakes.....

how many babies do you get with your 1/4 colony of mice? are they very hard to care for? and how long after you started the colony did you get your 1st colony?

IMG_1892.jpg

I use racks... They are easy to clean and cheap to build...The 2 racks on the right are the mice, middle are ASF's and rats in the big blk tubs....There are 2 more rat racks you cant see and the lab cages on the left(6) all mice...

My suggestion is to start with a colony and see how you like it. A 10 gallon tank secure lid, i would start 1 male 3 females ... See how you like it , then upgrade if you dont mind the work....

Most 1:3 colonies will produce about 20-30 pinkies a month if they are healthy

thank youfor the info. i planned on starting small as my wife thinks the are gross any ways. lol. how did you build your rack? was it a plan you found online or did you do it "freehand"?

google mice racks I dont remember the exact plans.. I modified them to fit the the boxes I got...

Hey buzz.

For the tubs in your mice racks are you using washing up bowls??if not, do you think they would be ok to us.....?

It looks like you're going to go the mouse rack, but if you decide you want to try rats, throw me a PM.

However, I also suggest you get two 1.3 or 1.4 groups and see how you deal with a small colony to start with. You may find you absolutely cannot stand the smell or something, so it would kinda suck if you spent a lot of money buying rack supplies, mouse food and bottles, and the mice only to see you couldn't deal with it for one reason or another.

Yeah, I'd say two 10-gallons with 1.3 would be a good start and see where that takes ya. If you want to get into it more racks are nice.

Hey buzz.

For the tubs in your mice racks are you using washing up bowls??if not, do you think they would be ok to us.....?

you could use wash tubs but they are a little tall for a mouse to reach the food bins on top. The was tubs dont have has much room, so if you do, you would have to do a 1:2-3 instead with this set up you can push the number to 1:6 for pinkie production only or keep a 1:4 with space for raising babies.

Another option if you wanted to do a large colony is this.
vvvvvvvv

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

smaller sized rat in the picture for scale...

The bins I am using for the mice are med. size cat litter boxes, asf's are in jumbo cat litter boxes, and the rats are concrete tubs..

The above set up works good for a weanling bin(holds about 30 weanlings comfortable)... Top left bin in the main photo is set up like this....

Back