• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How much does it cost? And I have another question...

JennyB

Approximately how much does it cost to get a snake checked to find out it's gender? It's really bothering me not knowing whether Roo is a male or female. Do they have to put them under anethestic for it?

Also, I posted this on the end of another thread and it hasn't been responded to, but since I feel it's kind of important, I'm going to ask it here so it gets seen. Should I be concerned that he hasn't used the bathroom since I got him on Wednesday? I haven't seen him since Friday when I fed him because I'm living in Shepherdsville until the wedding on Saturday, and he's with my fiance in Clarksville. Lucas said he doesn't see anything, but he also wouldn't take the lid off to check all the way. How often do snakes use the restroom? Could it just be an adjustment period? I also haven't seen him drink but he doesn't have the loose skin around the neck.

As far as getting your snake sexed, you could go to a reptile vet and pay for an office visit, try getting to know a breeder, shop or keeper in your area that sexes their own and they will probably not only do it for free but teach you how.

For the not seeing it drink or defacate. Probably does most if its cruising while no ones looking. Especially at night when it feels a little safer venturing out. I wouldn't worry to much about it as long as it is getting the proper temps, access to water, etc.

Some pet stores, if they have someone who knows what they are doing, would probably sex him/her for free. I would ask ahead of time. Or you can find a herp vet or a breeder in your area. I imagine most anyone would do it for free, because it's a pretty quick and easy process.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not finding anything since Wednesday. If it's a hatchling sometimes it can just be hard to find/see. Also, if s/he happens to be in a shed cycle that could be the cause. I find that most of mine don't go from the time they start a shed cycle until they shed. But when they shed they go. Hope that helps.

I'm mainly concerned because he/she is on papertowels, so I should be able to see it pretty easily. I've noticed he was starting to cruise around the cage a little more until I fed him on Friday. He's just been laying on his rock (not heat rock, but it is above the UTH) kind of chilling since then. Hopefully now that his food is digested, he'll start moving around again and maybe potty and drink. I'll check with my vet and see if they can sex him and check him out. They only charge $14 for an office visit and I've always taken my exotics to them and had no problems except for with one doctor, who isn't allowed near them anymore.

How do you get them to hold still to sex them? Roo is so feisty! He was striking at me the other day when I went to get him out to feed him. I think the poor little thing was hungry because he calmed down right afterwards when I put him back in his tank.

A word of warning... have you checked the temp on that rock above the UTH? Rocks are such a good heat conductor... that rock most likely is way too hot!! It could easily be 105 degress or more if it's directly on the UTH!! I hope you have, please check this. This could be why he's fiesty. If he/she is overheated, that would explain the nervousness and "testiness".

As far as is being a he/she, watch this video. I would discourage going to your vet if they're experienced with reptiles, but this video is great if your snake is still young.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...253&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Also do you have hides in the cage it is surprising that a snake so young would spend all its time out in the open like that if hides are available. Ideally you want hides on both the cold and warm sides of the tank and possibly one in the middle. Something as simple as an old Toilet paper roll works wonders for them!

I got a thermometer with a probe today. The rock itself was 80 degrees F. Inside the rock it was 77 degrees F. The cool side of the tank is 73 degrees. I bought a basking lamp today because the pad just wasn't working satisfactorily.

He isn't out in the open hardly at all. Even when he's out of the rock, there's fake plants covering the top of it and the rest of the cage. The only way he'd be out of hiding is if he went on the outer side of the water bowl.

He's actually doing better temperment-wise today. He's starting to get use to us and didn't strike at me or my fiance at all. He even let the maintenance guy hold him. And he sat in my hand and watched part of a movie with me today. And best of all, he went poo twice. I never realized it looks like bird poo.

Thanks for the video and advice you guys.

If Clarksville is not to far from me, I could sex it for you. Their is a Monthly reptile show in Indy, if that is closer to you.

How much would you charge? Indy is about 3 hours away from me, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months to be able to get another corn, so maybe then?

How much would you charge? Indy is about 3 hours away from me, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months to be able to get another corn, so maybe then?

NO charge at all!!!!!!!

Nov. I'm doing the Cleveland show and i was thing of the Indy show for Dec.

Are you north or south of Indy cause I'm about 3 hours or so north of Indy?

Okay, so I used the popping technique to sex Roo. I'm 75% percent sure Roo is a female, if I did it right. I definitely didn't get male parts. It looks just like the female in the video. So, yay!

I fed her a pinkie from the mouse factory today. No problems with the f/t pinkie. She went right for it.

Back