• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how much heat does a corn snake need

Hi i'm lizzy and i was woundering about my corn snake.you see i have a 30 or 40 gallon tank and i have a climming stick on one side and his water dish and hut thing on the other sideand i noticed he only stays on the on side where the light and where the heater are (there on the same side)and i leave them on all day and night and all he does is barry him self under the bark and stays there.am i supplying the right amount of heat?or do i need more?cuase he nevr like goes to the othere side from what ive seen to get water.how come he isn't that active?is this breed active?ohh ya and bye the wayhow much should you feed a 3mo. snake a week

thanks for helping im new and have only had the snake :toiletgra :toiletgra 2 mo.
thanks
lizzy

Ok, I'm no expert and there are LOTS of people who've been on here longer than me and are better at giving advice, but I'll do my best to help you out, ok?

You'll need a thermometer on each end of the tank. I have the sticky kind that stick to the glass and put it as low as possible so you can be sure it's reading the heat at the snake's level.
The warm side (where your heat lamp or some other method of heat output is) needs to be between 80-88 F (proper temps for good digestion) and a cooler side around 70-75. A hydrometer is also handy for measuring the amount of moisture in the tank (I like to have one anyways).
You'll want to provide a hide on the warm side and the cool side. Your snake probably isn't active because it's not warm enough, or it could be getting acclimated to it's new home. Did you acquire her recently?
And it's ok to turn off the light at night.

A rule of thumb for feeding size is no more than 1-1.5 times the girth of your snake at it's widest point. 3 mos old could be on large pinks or small fuzzies...it'll depend on the size of the snake.
I suggest getting the book by Kathy & bill Love called "The Corn Snake Manual". You'll hear it referred to a lot in here. It's like the bible for snakes!
Read, read, read.
Ok, guys let me know if I left anything out or fudged anything up....! LOL!

Karen

nice job wildernessey you really helped her out, good information, nice helping :crazy02: :crazy02:

aw, mangrove! You're gonna make me blush....
I'm just trying to return the help that everyone on here has been so kind to give me. It's the least I could do!

First, what type of light do you have on 24/7? If it's not a night-light, or an infared we have a big problem. You cant have a normal light on 24/7. Corns are nocturnal and need a dark period--thats normally when they begin to get active.

Those stick thermometers are crap, you'd be better off with a digital one from an electronic store, or a temp gun.

Pinkies or fuzzies sound right for 3 months of age.

You need at least two hides, one on the warm side and one on the cool side, and since your tank is so large I'd suggest one in the middle too. You can also use a papertowel roll as a psuedo-hide so they can get from one side of the tank to the next without having to be seen.

What are you using for substrate?

lmao! the sticky thermo's are pretty crappy aren't they!?
Where do you get a digital one small enough to go in a tank without taking up a large area? and do you have a brand you recommend? How expensive are the temp guns?

My little stickies do fairly well, but I know not to trust them as 100% accurate. Still, for someone like me who is still fairly new it does a decent good job.
If I get into breeding I'll definitely spent the big $$ to make sure my temps are accurate and easily readable.

OMG! I just did a search on ebay for temp guns!! I didn't think they were that inexpensive! I saw them in the $20's. I always figured they were hundreds of dollars!
How accurate are they Joe? and is there a certain brand found to be better, easier to use, longer battery life, etc?

I got the regular thermometers (indoor/outdoor) that stick on with suction cups. I put the register end in the substrate and suckered the rest to the tank. It makes a great climbing aid for my kids.

Back