• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How much "Stuff"??

Evol_girl

Ok - we have a little '10 girl. She's like, 18g maybe and not very long. Still a scaredy little hateling.

I'm OBSESSED with making her tank look cool - mostly because we never see her so I figure we might as well be looking at something pretty when we peer in to find her :)

But I'm wondering, after seeing everyones set up on here - if its too much? I mean, she loves to hide so part of me feels like the more dark places I give her the better, but everyone viv's on here seem so "spacious and open" besides a hide here and there and a tree or something...

I will try to take a pic tonight - but basically we have a small little 10g for now until she grows up a bit. The back wall is covered in vines / leaves - which she likes to climb through. We have a water dish and a fake log hide on the cool side - that takes up most of the "cool" side - and then a castle kinda hide with a coconut on the warm side... there's really not much "open" space at all - but my logic is that she hates the open space so its ok that she doesn't have much...

True?!? Untrue?!?

Whatever you have, it's not too much. I'd like to see a picture of your fake log hide, though, so we know if it's one of the three known secret-compartment-that-your-snake-gets-into-and-you-can't-get-her-out models!

I get as much ground cover and as many hides in as possible. For starters, this gives them lots of places to hide. They'd naturally spend as much time as possible hiding from predators - being out in the open only puts them at risk of being caught and eaten. If they can move around the tank whilst keeping out of sight, they tend to be more active.

Also, with things like cork bark or other low hides, it actually gives them more floor area (the floor underneath the hide and the area over the top of it).

I don't have hatchlings, but from what I've read on here, the more hides the better for them. I just recently added a nice fake vine to my snake's vivs that takes up some of the open space and one of them seems to enjoy it very much. As long as it's not hard to clean, I say go for it!

Whatever you have, it's not too much. I'd like to see a picture of your fake log hide, though, so we know if it's one of the three known secret-compartment-that-your-snake-gets-into-and-you-can't-get-her-out models!

Hmmmm... Now I'm curious if its that too?!? I'll try to take pics tonight - its just a standard Petco log hide with fake decorations on it... She hasn't hide-and-not-been-able-to-be-retrieved yet - but its not her favorite hide, either. Its a LITTLE big for her I think, she still feels a bit exposed even when completely curled up inside it.

She still prefers burrowing under the aspen completely. The decorations I'm convinced are %99 for my benefit.

But I'm glad to hear that there is no such thing as too much :) I got slightly chastised when I came home the other day with yet ANOTHER vine to cover the back glass.... "Seriously - You can barely even see tank at this point Summer, you need to open it up a bit" "NUH UH - SHE LIKES IT"...

I WIN ;)

They love those cork barks!! And once you have vines stuck all over the walls, you might catch the baby napping in the vines, or spying on you from them!

and no - not one of those... :) thank goodness... I was already planning a trip to petco to replace ours if it was!

Alright - I'm gonna try uploading some photos from my phone - let's see how this goes...

3de3707c.jpg

3b9aff00.jpg

04a23874.jpg

81a6dc55.jpg

Nice setup!:) What a lucky baby girl;) I think it's really good to have fake plants and vines they can climb on, because some of them prefer it to hiding under logs - I have one that just LOVES his "tree", and he just can't resist chillin in it for a while at least once a day.

Well - Thanks guys!!! I'm a total snake newbie - most of what I learned and researched before we got her I learned from google searches, images, etc. but thats hard to go off of soley because who knows if they are doing it right?!? I learned way more in the few months here than any goggle-ing, and I respect and trust the opinions!! It makes me happy to know I might be doing something right :)

I agree - lovely setup!

who knows if they are doing it right?!?
Well I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm still not convinced that I am! I'm always finding out new things here.

I think it looks terrific!

I like cork bark too and my snakes seem to enjoy going under it.

Firefly is a bright little thing, but she'll hang out in her vines with only her head showing, sure that she's completely hidden. :D

Back