• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how much to feed my little snake- plz help

koa94

my corn snake is 15 inches long and not even a half an inch wide at the belly area. I was wondering if i should start feeding him more than 1 pinky mouse a week. I honestly have know idea what i should be doing, he's my first corn so:noevil:

Attachments

• kates snake and more 020.JPG
    kates snake and more 020.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 85
After you feed him is he looking for more? You could try a second pinky and if he regurges it go back to one. I have noticed each animal is different and some will take 2 or 3 where a similar sized one will be happy with one.

Feed a prey item 1 to 1.5 times the width of the snake at his widest point. You can feed a baby snake every five days. Think conservatively- a regurge can be life-threatening, especially in a small snake, and is not to be taken lightly.

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

The Munson Plan is a guide to feeding cornsnakes. To use it you need a scale to weigh your snake. I feed by this schedule, at the conservative end. My snakes usually exceed the minimum weight requirement before they move up to the next level.

I never realised a regurge could be dangerous. I have an amel girl who I am trying to fatten up because she double clutched last year (for her last owner) and I started off feeding her 2 adult mice every 7 days and was thinking about going to 3. Sometimes when feeding I forget that colubrids aren't boids and get carried away.

I guess in this hobby we never stop learning, thanks for the insight!

Danny, if you ever have a regurge, be sure to ask here for the regurge protocol which involves fasting the snake for 8-10 days from the day of the regurge, then starting feeding again with a prey size no more than half the size of the regurged item. For baby snakes, this involves feeding half pinks, then whole pinks cut into thirds, etc. It is recommended that the snake receive Nutribac, which is probiotics. You can purchase that from Kathy Love http://www.cornutopia.com ahead of time if you want to be prepared for emergency. The Nutribac is either tubed into the snake for the more experienced keeper, or placed in the snake's water, which must then be changed daily. When the snake resumes feeding, the prey item is powdered with Nutribac. For myself, I continue to sprinkle the prey item with Nutribac for one year after the regurge.

Back