• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how much.....

koa94

.....do i mist the cage a day? and do i need to mist the snake himself? he is a hatchling about 11 inches long and ha ia a okeetee(just thought i should say that because i am a proud parent)

Your heat lamp will really dry out his environment, and if your mat is set to the proper temp, a lamp isn't necessary.

Someone just posted, and I wish I could remember who it was...that they use a clay pot for a hide, and wet it down during shed time. Also, a large bowl of water in the viv will keep it nice and humid in there. I have a large piece of driftwood that I mist down when I'm running the AC a lot, but again, only when he's nearing shed. I'm a newbie, so I'm sure you'll get more humidity options from the pros!

I recommend getting a digital humidity gauge if you don't have one yet. I was a bit concerned about the humidity in my tank when I was using a stick on one but I got a more accurate one and it turns out that my tank stays in an acceptable range.

Which substrate are you using? From what I understand some hold the moisture better than others (I am currently using aspen).

Unless you live in a dry climate, or a colder region where heaters are running a large part of the time (which, by the way, dry the air out), there is really no need whatsoever to mist the tank every day. If you feel the need to, you can spray into the tank a few quick times daily when it comes time for your corn to shed. Do not be overzealous when misting, as humid/damp bedding harbors bacteria that may be harmful to your corn (and possibly, for that matter, you).

That's one of the great thing about corns, they don't need high humidity to stay healthy.

I'd stick with misting only durning the blue period into the clear period. Other then that I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity, unless your in an area that usually has high humidity during the summer months. If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about misting at all, unless you end up with a partial shed. Thats when you would want to be sure to mist during the blue and after period.

Good luck to you and your new baby.

From what I understand, long term exposure to an environment with very high humidity can be a problem because it can potentially contribute to respiratory illnesses (not sure where I read that). I do not not know of similar problems associated with environments with below average humidity. I would agree with the others who posted in this thread - as long as:

1. there is clean water available
2. your corn does not appear to be shedding soon
3. the tank does not appear to be "too humid"

then you should be in good shape. Personally I like having a digital humidity gauge, but that is because summers in my region can be rather humid. I mostly like having it in order to have an accurate reading so that I can try to promote healthy shedding during these times that a bit higher humidity is generally encouraged (though I have read one or two accounts in these forums of owners whose snakes shed just fine despite low humidity levels).

You should have a water bowl in the cage that is big enough that the snake can bathe in it. If the snake feels the need he will do so. I have never misted a cornsnake.

ok, so he unexpectidly shed today, was it good that i misted the cage? And i live in Texas so it is pretty dry. He has a big water bowl but since he is still only 11 inches long it is not filled all of the way. But what i have heard is that i just mist it when he goes into the blue stage? ok, please give me advice in any ways posible. :)

You don't need to but if you enjoy doing it go ahead and mist him. Too much water will cause problems. Remember you are not trying to creat a wet environment. If you raise the humidity a few degrees that is ok or even good.

Corn snakes live in TX with out misters. Unless you are spraying them all.

From what I understand the normal ambient household humidity (40-60%) is what I have seen as the recommended range.

I'm still new to the whole corn owning thing but I use clay pots as hides and when I noticed that Alcedonia first shed with me was incomplete and just overall a really bad shed I put her in her deli cup with a small washcloth wet with warm water. This second time I saw her go into blue, I took the clay pot from the warm side and wet it with water a bit on the warmer side as well as place shredded paper towels that have also been wet with warm water. Each day i re-wet the pot and paper if needed and a few days later I found a complete shed from the tip of the noise to the tip of her tail, all in one big piece.

This worked for me, it could work for you. :)

His shed was complete. The petstore people said to mist it and they kept saying that i needed a light. his heat mat doesnt get very warm so like his heat side only gets at the most 80 degrees. But his heat mat gets REALLY hot so i have to unplug it at times. I think that the heat lamp is working out pretty good for him :) i have been misting his cage once evryday and it hasnt been a problem.

His shed was complete. The petstore people said to mist it and they kept saying that i needed a light. his heat mat doesnt get very warm so like his heat side only gets at the most 80 degrees. But his heat mat gets REALLY hot so i have to unplug it at times. I think that the heat lamp is working out pretty good for him :) i have been misting his cage once evryday and it hasnt been a problem.

Invest in (or make) a rheostat. Search CS for "rheostat" ad there will be a thread that shows you how to make one for almost nothing. If you don't have some already, buy at least one probe thermometer for the warm side, and better yet one for the cool side as well. Heat lamps are just a pain in the rump, if I may say so myself. They dry out the air, and can be a fire hazard. I would just make a rheostat, adjust the hot side temperatures accordingly, and ditch the heat lamp.

And another thing: the people at the pet store don't always know what's best. Don't get me wrong here, some local pet stores have a guy/gal who knows a lot about reptiles, and they can be very beneficial. My local guy's name is Dave, I think... In my experience, the larger a pet store you go to (PetCo, PetSmart, etc.) the less knowledgeable people will be.

And I'm assuming you meant that you were misting his cage once a day while he was shedding, right? Because misting once a day all year would be way too much.

Back