• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often does everyone disinfect their vivarium?

braingarble

Always has questions
Aside from daily cleaning (scooping poop/removing substrate that has been soiled)-- How often does everyone COMPLETELY disinfect their snakes' vivarium.

Thanks

-braingarble

5% Bleach solution is quite common...
I use F10....
A quick wipe every week and a good wipe out every three to four...
Rubs and hatchlings every time I change the paper...

Last edited:
I do a strict strong cleaning which takes me about an 1/2 an hour every 2 weeks. I generally do it when my big boy is swimming in the bath tub. Its kinda funny if you think about it. I clean the viv and he takes a bath :)

I clean thir cage out twice a week just to make sure that they have a very clean cage to live in. :)

I am thinking I need to do an overhaul on mine because I hardly ever find their poop. I look through the aspen but I've only found poop twice. I will do the girls' tanks this weekend, but since Diablo regurged, I will still just spot clean his for a while. Dragon tanks are easier. There is no loose substrate for it to hide in and even if there was, I could just follow my nose. <ick>

When I change their bedding, which is when I think the general look ain't fresh anymore, not sure how long that takes, depends on the size of the viv and the snake(s) in it, but maybe every 2-3 months. I used bleach in hot water in the past but recently switched to cleaning vinegar since I think it is better for the snake than bleach. I have Herpteks so squeezing a few sponges of water with vinegar into it, than rubbing the viv with a rough sponge for a few minutes is enough. Then I leave it for about 10 mins to 'kill the bugs' and absorb the water with an old towel followed by 10 mins of drying et voila, viv cleaned.

When I change their bedding, which is when I think the general look ain't fresh anymore, not sure how long that takes, depends on the size of the viv and the snake(s) in it, but maybe every 2-3 months. I used bleach in hot water in the past but recently switched to cleaning vinegar since I think it is better for the snake than bleach. I have Herpteks so squeezing a few sponges of water with vinegar into it, than rubbing the viv with a rough sponge for a few minutes is enough. Then I leave it for about 10 mins to 'kill the bugs' and absorb the water with an old towel followed by 10 mins of drying et voila, viv cleaned.

I think I will start useing vinegar myself it would be safer to use better then bleach.

Back