• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how often to attempt to feed new snake

ara35

So my snake is about 1-2 months old (I think). He’s 15 inches long. I have had him for just over a week and I attempted to feed him over the weekend and he didn’t want it. I tried the whole braining and all of that, but I expected that he wouldn’t eat the very first time, especially only being a week. My question is how often should I attempt to feed him? Should I try every other day? and after thawing a pinky, do I have to throw it out or can I refreeze it? THANKS

I'm curious about this too, because my 2 month + snow is completely ignoring any food I give her. However, I know you must throw them out if they've been sitting out for a while... a partially decomposed pinky, which is what it is after it's unfrozen for a while, will make your snake sick if you try to refeed with it.

You don't want to re-freeze it, same as regular people food. An unfortunate waste, but better to not risk it.

If mine don't eat, I usually wait until the next scheduled feeding day. By that time they're usually nice and hungry. If you have a "non-feeder" then there are lots of tricks to get them to eat, some more successfully than others. For my slow or more stubborn feeders, I'll leave the prey item in their viv overnight. If they haven't eaten by morning, I toss it.

Make sure all parameters are correct as well. Off temps can cause a snake to refuse feeds.

well i actually am going with the seperate feeding container. which seems to stress him out even more. cause he is too busy seeing what the new container is like. and how he can get out. is it really worth the effort feed in a seperate container? i dont mind doing it, as long as it is worht it in the long run.

You could try putting the mouse in the container INSIDE his viv and see if that helps.

This is what I would do. Get a small deli cup, like the size of a margerine cup, with air holes. Feed the snake in the early evening when he would normally be active. Don't stress him out by handling him until you have him feeding successfully. Heat a frozen pink in HOT tap water for a minute or two, till thawed. Hold it under your hottest water for a few seconds, then cut a few snips in its back and skull with a tiny scissors. Place the pink in the cup, the snake in the cup, close it securely, cover it with a dish towel, and leave in a quiet dark room with no peeking for an hour. If, after an hour, the snake has not eaten, I'd reheat the pink and put the whole snake, pink, deli cup in the viv for overnight. Maybe drop a paper towel over the deli. If the snake hasn't eaten by morning, I would try the whole thing over again in four-five days.

ive actually been handling him alot. he doesnt seem stressed but i will cut down on that until he eats.

ive actually been handling him alot. he doesnt seem stressed but i will cut down on that until he eats.

But he does. right? Because he's not eating. That's a pretty good indicator of stress.

Cut out all handling until he eats.

it has only been a week though. and they were feeding him every 6-7 days. so i dont think its a huge problem. but i will cut out the handling till he eats

The least stressful way for a snake, when you first get it, to settle in is to be placed in its viv and left completely alone. You then attempt to feed the snake, and if the snake eats, leave it for two to three days of digestion. I wouldn't go crazy handling a baby until he's eaten four or five meals with no fuss.

Well good news. Hes in shed. I noticed the blue today. Not only am i relieved about the feedin but also excited for the shed. The humidity is around 40 now. I placed damp washclothes on the lid to raise it. Is this a good idea? I want a clean healthy shed!

I am confused... If you have only had him for over a week, how is it were you able to handle him a lot? Maybe I am misinterpreting something :shrug: I believe you are supposed to give all new snakes one week (7 days) of alone time before you handle or attempt to feed. Did you do this?

I read 4-6. So i gave him about 5. Ive has him for about a week an a half now. Didnt m
hold him from sat to thurs, held him fri sat sun, attempted to feed sunday. Noticed shed yesterday

Make sure you try the towel covering thing. My corn doesn't usually eat if his feeding container is in plain view. I cover it.. then wala, see the pinky now you dont lol. But I also didnt handle at all until after his first feed. That was what I was told by VMS herp where I purchased him. They say the first feeding is always more important than being held.

Instead of what you're doing to raise humidity, you could put a piece of plastic wrap just laid over the screen, not sealed down. Then lightly mist the inside of the viv, don't drench it. If you'd like the reading a little higher, you can mist the plastic wrap before you set it on the screen. The washcloths might tend to mold. I wouldn't do that.

Back