• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often to handle a baby?

MatCat

I had my first official handling session with my new corn today! I waited a week for her to shed, eat, poop, and today was the day. She did NOT want to get picked up lol, but once I got her picked up it was about 15 min of tread-milling then she finally calmed down and started to check me out in curiosity, handled her for 30 min in total. So my question is how often should I handler her for the best tameness possible? She has showed absolutely no defensive behavior of any kind what so ever, only flightyness.

As long as she continues to eat well, I think handling daily is no problem if you really want her to get used to it (just give her 2 days of no handling after feeding her). Most corn snakes are pretty tame once they grow up a bit, even with minimal handling. Flightiness in babies is extremely common, and most of them do outgrow it. Handling once a week would probably be the minimum amount of handling required to keep her used to it. I do think there is a bit of a nature VS. nurture component to tameness in corn snakes, because some of them are naturally very relaxed about handling even if they've had very little human interaction and others end up being pretty feisty even with lots of handling.

IMG_20200620_200432672~2.jpg

WOOT, Managed to get the illusive tounge flick in a pic during todays handling!

I try to handle babies daily (except after feeding) for about 15 minutes. This also helps them to not associate the cage opening with food and trying to eat your hand since most of the time when it opens it is not for food.

I handle mine a couple of times daily, unless he's been fed (then I wait 24hrs) or about to shed. He's super calm, loves climbing all over me and for some reasons likes to wrap himself around my glasses (not so much fun as it takes ages to untangle him without breaking them.)

Back