• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How old is my Corn?h

durrus

Hi all,
I am brand new to this. Last night I picked up my new Corn. He is from a friend of a friend and he could not tell me it's age, It has just shed and had not eaten in 10 days according to my friend. I fed him a medium pinky and it did not make a noticeable bulge in him. His girth is about the thickness of the fat part of my pinky (I am a 6 foot man). He is 21 inches (52 cm), Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of it's age?

durrus said:
Hi all,
I am brand new to this. Last night I picked up my new Corn. He is from a friend of a friend and he could not tell me it's age, It has just shed and had not eaten in 10 days according to my friend. I fed him a medium pinky and it did not make a noticeable bulge in him. His girth is about the thickness of the fat part of my pinky (I am a 6 foot man). He is 21 inches (52 cm), Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of it's age?

6 months - yearling. It all depends on the growth rate of the snake etc...

Posting some pictures would help.

I would have to agree. I purchased 2 in March, and they are both 26" at the moment. I believe mine were hatched in '05.

I don't think it's possible to know a snake's age from the length, apart from in a general sense. My corn was half the size of other snakes his age when I got him, because he was very underweight due to an abusive owner; I don't believe anyone would have guessed his age correctly when I first got him. I'm not saying your corn is underweight by the way, I was just using that as an example, because I don't think we can say how old your snake is just by knowing the length.

Well the friend of a friend runs a pet shop where they sell snakes. My friend is very knowledgable about snakes and I am asuming the pet store guy did not "power feed" this snake. I guess I am wondering how old he must be at least? Even under optimal conditions what would be the least time it would take a corn to get this size (and I doubt he was fed optimaly). He is a Normal Corn BTW. I will post a picture when I get a good one.
Thanks

I dunno if this helps but my corns were hatched on 27th july 2005 and they are about 32 inches long at the moment.They are eating 2 hoppers a week and are shedding about once a month/5 weeks.They weigh approximately 70 grams and 85 grams respectively and thier heads are in proportion to thier body width.{I have seen some corns with very small looking heads...}.Hopefully this may help a little....lol! :grin01:

By the sounds of the info you have supplied i would say anywhere from 5 to 9 months. A more accurate guess would lead me to say that your snake is 6/7 months old.

Sorry guys, the file did not attach before. Thanks again.

Attachments

• size.jpg
    size.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 62
Nice little snakie!Doesn't look much smaller than mine but then i don't know the size of your hands!lmaoooooooooooooooooooo! wot a cracker!

Lovley snake !!! i'd say about 1 year old give or take a month or 2 :shrugs:

Mines 9 months and looks about the same maybe a tiny bit smaller..
Mines also a blizzard

A. Devil

Thanks everybody,

I really appreciate the comments. EVERYONE I have met or spoken to in this hobby has been really helpful and friendly. I have only owned snakes for less than 2 weeks now so I am a beginner, but I've got the bug for sure.

So far I have 2 Corns and a King. When will it ever stop?

Herpers are the nicest people.

BTW, those hands are my wife's (not mine LOL).
Check the photo section for a great shot of this Corn eating his first ever fuzzie.

Back