• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How should I handle my baby corn?

jbax98

I picked up my little 12" Snow corn snake, not this past Thursday, but the Thursday the week before (September 30th). I have already fed the first time Tuesday night, and it has been well over 72 hours now.

The next feeding will be tomorrow night. I'm wondering how I should handle the snake without scaring it too much. I don't want the snake to be scared for the feeding tomorrow.

Every time I touch or grab the snake, it jumps with a burst of energy, and speeds away. Then it will go to the corner of the tank and coil up, sticking its head up like it's going to strike. I haven't had any strikes yet, though.

Any tips for picking up the snake and handling it?

Thanks!

Place your cupped palm over the snake and pick it up in a clump, like a handful of pasta, and hold it in your closed hand up to your chest. But I wouldn't mess around with her too much till after her second feeding- you don't want to stress her. Maybe pick her up, hold for a couple minutes in your closed hand, then set her gently back into her viv.

I have found most corns that are hatchling size are flighty and try and escape i handle mine after 48 hours off feeding them then the last time i handle them is the day before i feed them have found they start settleing down from a few weeks to a few months depending on size and how often they are handled dont hesitate as this makes them more jumpy

...i handle mine after 48 hours off feeding them then the last time i handle them is the day before i feed them...

I do not handle mine the day before feeding, the day of feeding, or the day after feeding... so if i feed on a Wednesday, the snake is not handled for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday

Hmm, I don't really handle my snakes until they are on peach fuzzies. I find they are much more agreeable to being held by then.

I do not handle mine the day before feeding, the day of feeding, or the day after feeding... so if i feed on a Wednesday, the snake is not handled for Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday

same as me and i dont handle untill after the first feed the week i picked up the snake sometimes even longer if its still stressed

Thanks for the great information!

Yeah, that is what I basically figured. I know right now the she is feeling very scared, and with good reason. She is so much smaller than me, so I would be a scared too if I was in her position. The second feeding is tonight... I'll just limit handling to putting her in the feeding cage, then back. Then no more handling until 72 hours from now.

Also you're right... this little thing is very flighty, I feel so bad for her :(

But does anyone have any other tips for picking up the snake, and then what to do once you've got it? I think I'm going to try that cupped hand method, but I just wanted to know if anyone does anything differently that works for them?

Thanks all!

Thanks for the great information!

Yeah, that is what I basically figured. I know right now the she is feeling very scared, and with good reason. She is so much smaller than me, so I would be a scared too if I was in her position. The second feeding is tonight... I'll just limit handling to putting her in the feeding cage, then back. Then no more handling until 72 hours from now.

Also you're right... this little thing is very flighty, I feel so bad for her :(

But does anyone have any other tips for picking up the snake, and then what to do once you've got it? I think I'm going to try that cupped hand method, but I just wanted to know if anyone does anything differently that works for them?

Thanks all!

I just go slow and steady and pick them up mid section has always worked for me sooner or later they will calm down just dont put them back if they struggle or make a mess because they will know thats how to get back into the viv/rub same goes for biting

Back