• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How soon after aquiring a new corn snake should you feed it?

grant

So, I just got my corn snake Saturday night (11/11/13). How soon should I feed it? It was last fed on 11/9/12 and before that on 11/6/2012. It is pretty small, I uploaded a few pics of him/her to my albums.

THANKS!

Grant - I'd let it settle in for 5 days or so. You really shouldn't need to feed it more than every 5 days. I've got mine on a 7 day feeding schedule. The main thing is letting it settle in to its new home. Don't handle it, as hard as that is. Just let it settle in and get used to its new surroundings before feeding.

Hey, I'm no expert by any means! I just post a lot and repeat what I've read. Nanci, Rich (all of them I think), Kathy Love, Carol, Robbie, Shari (I know I spelled that wrong), Dave P., Christen, Walter and many, many others are the experts. If I post anything wrong, someone usually quite quickly corrects me. I just know what it is like waiting for an answer, so if it is a question I've read the answer to many a time, I'll answer!

Last edited:
Hey grant ,pugsley seems to be a pretty smart . Pugsley has helped me on many issues. I see you live in kent . Thats funny my first name is grant but i live in silverdale washington. But anyway i agree with pugsley .

+1what pug said I wouldn't feed it every 3 days tho if it was fed on the 6th and again the 9th that's a bit to soon especially for a small snake. I would do every 5 as a min. Have to give them time to digest or fear a regurgitation

not to just jump in, But I was told to wait 7 days?

Is this to long..?

I just want to make sure that i'm doing this right. :)

Justin, some people want their hatchlings to grow as quickly as possible, so they feed every 5 or 6 days. Once a week is enough. I find it easier to feed on the same day, myself, rather than a moving target date.

Again +1 for what Pugsley said I'm on a rolling feeding time line I don't feed all my snakes on the same day I just don't have time to do it with my job. I feed every seven days as Pugsley said except for snakes that are hard feeders those I try to feed 5-6 just till they are eating well then I move them to 7 days I stagger my feeding so I feed 3 a day this lets me feed 3 hold 3. I give snakes 4 days Min. digestion time before holding. Then I hold them every day till feeding day. I give 2 hours free roam in the room alone to each snake the day before I feed them.

Here's another question. I have fed him twice now, last feeding was Wednesday. How long does it take for small snakes to digest their food? I wouldn't want to handle him if it was too soon. Also, I can't find the poop from his first pinkie, or 2nd yet.

Thanks!

When they are small, it is hard to find their poop! If you really want to know what it looks like, change out the substrate to paper towels layed down flat in the bottom of the viv/tub. Then you'll see what it looks like and how much is there. The white powdery stuff is the pee. With a hatchling, if it is something you can really see easily in the aspen, I'd be concerned.

How long it takes to digest well ... it depends. I hope some one will speak up here, but usually 3 or 4 days, I think. But don't place any bets on this answer!

Back