• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to build Fake rock Viv's Part 1

ReptiHabitat

StyroFoam Artist
Since Everyone on here has been so helpful I am giving out my secrets to build a Fake rock Viv. HAHAHA

Materials
StyroFoam (expanded Polystyrene) EPS
Lots of it. It comes in any size sheets and can think of, Especially if you live near a EPS factory. Or your local home depot, value, or whatever you have by you. The hard EPS foam is better. They measure it by pounds or R-value.
Most packaging foam is 1 to 1.5 lb foam. The white sheets at value home center used for ceiling tiles is 1 lb foam. It works but not as good as the harder foams. If you live by a EPS factory like I do you can buy it in any lb strength I need. or the best stuff out there is the pink and blue R-value home insulation sheets. They come in 1/4" up to 2" thick and from 2ft by 8ft or 4ft by 8ft sheets.
After you buy your foam sheets, collect the foam from packaging because it will make some cool little rocks from its different shapes.

Spray foam is ok to use for large gaps and building waterfalls. But, you have to wait till it is dry then pick off the outside hard shiny shell till you get to the texture of a sponge candies inside then the cement will stick. If you try to coat the shiny smooth shell of the spray foam it will just slide off.

They sell foam glue to glue the rocks on to the sheets but its expensive and smells like crap. I use the cheapest latex caulk I can find.

Nails, screws, metal rods - whatever you have laying around. Used to attach carved rocks to sheets after caulk is applied. Big screws and metal rods are good for going through the back of the foam and into the shelves and cliffs to help support them. My fav is dry wall screws BC they have deep threads and hold well.

Tolls used for carving. - Anything you have laying around. Old knives with serrated blades, razor blades, old saw blades, forks, steak knives, flat head screw drivers anything to make the texture.

heat gun or high powered blow dryer. Heat gun @ harbor freight works good and its so cheap.

GE Silicone 1 not 2. It has to be free from the anti mold and fungus chemical. Bad for reptiles. I used the GE Silicone 1 for glueing the background into the tanks or cages and sealing any area around the Background so that those little meal worms and super worms that tend to escape the dish from my lizards dont burrow behind it and molt into those giant black beetles. If they get behind the foam they will burrow a hole till they turn into beetles.

cheap Paint brushes the little 1/2" or 1" cheap wood handle brushes work the best.

Cement - Only 2 types I found thay work good. The quickcrete vinyl patch and the fiberglass reienforced cement work the best. Dont use the cheap stuff with the pebbles or sand or you will be cursing all day.

broom and vacuum - trust me as you carve and scrap the foam there will be pieces every where as you walk through the house they will go with you. Then when you try to vacuum them up the exhaust on the vacuum with blow it away from the front and you will be chasing them around for months. If you have a gf or wife, do it outside or you will prob go deaf from her screaming.

Lots of time and plenty of coffee or beer. But not to many beers or else you might be in the ER getting stitches.

I think thats all of the tools and materials. I will post a kinda step by step with some photos. But, I need to cook diner for my son and I first.

Oh by the way I have a business doing this called ReptiHabitat. I have prob built 40 of them so far for myself and people.

I forgot to add some material.

Paint - all different shades of nature. Browns, greens, greys, blacks, alittle red, yellow, orange, blues and mix them up to make other weird shades. I use as much non-toxic stuff as I can find but I found that enamel paint when dried and coated with a clear coat is super strong and I have never had it flake off or make a reptile sick. I have 4 lizards in one of my cages for over 5 years and they are doing great and they love it. esp. when they want to shed.

Fake plants I buy mine from Michaels supply store or any arts and craft store.

drill bits all different sizes

I have tried real plants and the lizards and snakes either shred them or crush them and you have to be careful because a lot of plants are poisonous to reptiles.

Forgive my spelling I type faster than I can think sometimes.

Some of the tools I use.

The cement

And 2 different thickness of foam

Attachments

• reptiles cages 045.jpg
    reptiles cages 045.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 325
  • reptiles cages 067.jpg
    reptiles cages 067.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 324
  • reptiles cages 041.jpg
    reptiles cages 041.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 327
This is just a few pieces of the thicker pink R-value foam glued together then carved out, heated with a heat gun to make it crispy feeling. Then coated with cement.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 057.jpg
    reptiles cages 057.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 322
  • reptiles cages 039.jpg
    reptiles cages 039.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 324
This is a Small one for a 20 gl long tank I just started.
I used the thin white foam from ceiling tiles on this one.
In the back pick you can see the big nail heads that hold on the little shelves/ledges.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 042.jpg
    reptiles cages 042.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 321
  • reptiles cages 044.jpg
    reptiles cages 044.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 322
  • reptiles cages 043.jpg
    reptiles cages 043.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 322
Just some more pics of my huge viv I am building. Trying to show texture and details with the different sizes of rock and shapes.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 052.jpg
    reptiles cages 052.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 316
  • reptiles cages 054.jpg
    reptiles cages 054.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 317
  • reptiles cages 053.jpg
    reptiles cages 053.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 316
  • reptiles cages 051.jpg
    reptiles cages 051.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 319
  • reptiles cages 050.jpg
    reptiles cages 050.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 322
This is a crappy pic of the cave it goes back inside about 9 in and widens out to a circle about 7-8 in around.
another pic of the ledges.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 055.jpg
    reptiles cages 055.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 317
  • reptiles cages 056.jpg
    reptiles cages 056.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 317
This is drift wood I found along the lake here in Buffalo. I soak it in a bleach and water solution in a baby swimming pool. then if small enough I put in oven if to big just let it sit in the sun for a few days and the sun with dry them out and evaporate the bleach from the wood. Then I re soak them again in water and dry out the same way.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 083.jpg
    reptiles cages 083.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 318
  • reptiles cages 082.jpg
    reptiles cages 082.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 317
  • reptiles cages 081.jpg
    reptiles cages 081.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 318
My pond for my waterfall. It is a out door pond attachment for overflows for streams. It is about 20" long, 15" across, and 6" deep.

Attachments

• reptiles cages 084.jpg
    reptiles cages 084.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 318
  • reptiles cages 085.jpg
    reptiles cages 085.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 317
thank you for adding this. you sir are very creative. you should patent this no joke. and just sell directions and materials list online to people. but you know give it to me for free obviously. haha. but thank you again for this. its gonna be a good project for the rest of this winter. and forever in my collecting.

I make them for ppl. Its not very profitable. Most ppl are cheap lol. Materials to build are nothing but if I charged for the time (man Hrs) in each one no one could afford them, so as of now Id prob be working for $1.50 an hr for what I charge to make them. My huge one that I am building in the other post i have been working on and off for 3 months. But I only do alittle here and there.

If you let the individual coats cure/dry to fast it will. You have to mist it with water between coats. I have never used one of my backgrounds/cages for any reptile bigger than a bearded dragon, so maybe if you had a huge snake or a tegu or large monitor it may. But if you have the patience to slowly put on thin layers of cement up to a 1/4" thick it is pretty strong, you have to hit it hard with a hammer to break it.

WOW those are neat!! I've been thinkning about doing this myself but just another one of those things I've never gotten around to.

Back