• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to get a striped....

TheCornSnakeKid

I am the corn snake kid!
Is there anything I can breed to my snow het blizzard to make a striped corn? Im just curious... Also, what all can I breed with a snow to produce somthing other than ALL normals? Just curious....

I won't be the only person replying to this, however you will not be able to make any stripes with the snow, unless it is het for stripe and you don't know it. You would first of all need to breed your snow to a stripe, then wait for those kids to get big enough to breed, then breed those. Some of the babies should then be stripes. It goes something like that. Others will correct me where I have gone wrong.

Also, since you have a snow het for blizzard you could breed it to numerous morphs and get snakes other than normals. These would be...Snow, Blizzard, Anery, and Amel.
Scott

Oscar is right, you cant get any striped out of that bunch unless your snow is het for striped. You could mate your snow to a stripe, and then get normal babies, het for stripe and snow, and then mate those to a stripe or het for stripe to get some stripe babies---but that's a few years away.

As far as your snow, het for blizzard, you've got a few options.

Get an amel, and get amel babies 50% het for anery and charcoal, the other 50% het for just anery.

Get a Charcoal (Anery b) and get babies 50% charcoal, het for snow, and the other 50% normal, het for blizzard and anery.

Get an Anery and get all Anery babies, half het for snow, the other half het for Amel.

If you breed it to a blizzard, you'd get 50% blizzard, het for anery, and 50% amel, het for anery, het for charcoal.

If you had a male snow, there's a few suggestions. If you have the funds and space, it'd be cool to get 2 females for more options.

Since you've got a snow, het for blizzard, the choices are pretty limited to be honest, as far as getting something crazy looking right off the bat.

Basically, you're limited to amel, anery, anery b (charcoal) and blizzard for your F1.

You could throw in a hypo, wait a few years and breed them back and get some ghosts.

Best suggestion would be to buy a mate with one of the traits your snake has, or is het for, but to make sure the snake you're also buying is het for something else. That expands the possibilities. For example, buy an anery het for hypo, or vice versa. Buy an anery, het for striped, etc etc. The list goes on.

Alright, thanks. I really love the stripes, so I may end up just buying a pair of stripes and going from there. And thanks on the breeding info. Can I have some opinions on what I should get for my snow? Hes a he, if it helps any.

Sure, but it depends on what you want to produce.

Like I said, if you want babies other than normal, you have a few choices.

Amel, Charcoal, Anery, or Snow.

If it were me, I guess I'd get either an Amel or Anery, het for the other.

Example, get an Anery het for Amel, or an Amel het for Anery. That expands what you can do. Might be a lil tough to find that, but probably not. South Mountain Reptiles (www.cornsnake.net) sells a lot of het babies. Might want to start there.

Well, thinking about this has changed my mind a bit.

You've got a male, so you can do a lot.

Example, if you want to see immediate results, get something your snake is het for, or displays. That would be charcoal, amel, and anery, as I've said.

However, if you want some good hets, you can do a lot. Pick something not simple, something that has at least two parts.

I personally love ghosts, ambers and butters. You've got the ability to eventually get all of that if you make a simple purchase.

If for example you bought an Amber, which is a combo of caramel and hypomelanism, you'd get a pretty good range of possible hets.

You'd get all normals, but 50% would be het for blizzard, het amber and het for anery. The other 50% would be het for butter and ghost. However, this is where I'm confused. The het for charcoal combined with the hypo from the amber should result in some hets for phantom, or charcoal ghost, but it's not coming out that way, I dunno.

Anyway, you get the idea. Just play around with possible hets and you'll see that even with a normal, het for all of those things after a few years of breeding you've got huge possibilities.

Just out of curiosity, how do you "create" a stripe? Like how were they first created? I've seen quite a few motleys with dorsel stripes, not complete ones, but still.... Does that mean you can produce a stripe, without a stripe, if you know what I mean?

I think it's just a specific motley that was bred for the stripe. Not 100% sure though.

I have a male Snow het Charcoal that I breed to a female Charcoal het snow every year. Here is one of the clutches she produced, six morphs are represented here. Normal, amel, anery 'A', anery 'B', Snow and Blizzard.
all6morphs

Back