• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to pick up buried snake? Should i?

ara35

Title basically says it all. I have a corn i had for almost a week. Hes buried under the aspen and im not sure if i can grab him when he is like that. Should i pick him up to handle? Is it okay for him to do this? I wanted to feed him so how should i go about that if hes buried since i wanna use seperate container for feeding? Temps are fine and hes on the cool side of the tank

The snake feels secure under the aspen that's why it's there.
go ahead and pick it up. It will move on you and try to get away but just life it out and support it with two hands.

Another words...go for it.

Maybe,lol but it isn't going to hurt. You'll have to pick it up to feed and since you've had it a week its feeding time. Snatch it up you'll be just fine and the more you handle the more comfortable your snake will be with you:)

There should be some sort of warning sign if the snake is going to bite. They rear up and just look plain mean (I should know...Ember and Axel):

Ember 3.jpeg

Like that :)

But even so, most corns are very nice. I certainly have a bad apple. But I can assure you that the bite does not hurt, and it's important to teach them that you're not scared of them. When you're so tiny, the world is terrifying. Just think if you weight 5 grams and something way over 100 pounds went to pick you up!

I'll also let you in on a tip I picked up from some pros that deal with lots of snakes that don't get handled often and are easily frightened. If you pick them up with tongs or a hook, it takes away the initial scare. Then you can gently place them down on your hands and they're alright. This has worked wonders with my Brazilian rainbow boa, a notorious mean guy as babies. My roommate also does this with some of her very young corns and it works well.

Hope this helps!

One more thing, if on the odd chance he does bite you, do NOT pull back. It won't hurt, trust me. The worst thing will be the surprise, because they strike fast. But Do NOT jerk your hand back. It will only make the bite bigger and possibly cause pain, and it might break or rip out the snakes teeth.

Joxer (my ghost) spends 99% of his time buried in the substrate, and sometimes it takes me a minute to find him! When I do locate him, I just aim for the middle of his body and lift... he might squirm a little, but hasn't tried to bite or freak out yet. Btw, I feed all of my snakes in their enclosures, which might be a good idea for your shy corn. :cool:

Dig through that aspen and grasp the snake. He is no more likely to bite than if he was out hunting. The bite of my biggest breeders doesn't hurt much, the bite of a baby's WORST bite feels like having scotch tape pulled off your finger.

Let 'em have at you! Even this mean yearling couldn't bring blood.
2ludjib.jpg

IMO, no need to move to a separate container. None at all.

If you are going to feed in the tank though (like I do), be sure to put down paper towels or something so that the substrate doesn't get stuck on the pinky or what have you as it can be harmful for your snake to consume.

Or use substrate that wouldn't be harmful. I start with paper towels for the first few months, then use Yesterday's News until nearing three feet, then aspen. I've seen snakes swallow (and pass) a lot of aspen, without a vet trip yet. To get an impaction with aspen bedding is very rare. I do put the mouse on a deli cup lid (in cage) when they won't take it from my hands, but having a DRY f/t mouse cuts down a lot on what sticks to it.

If you are going to feed in the tank though (like I do), be sure to put down paper towels or something so that the substrate doesn't get stuck on the pinky or what have you as it can be harmful for your snake to consume.

Yes, thanks for adding that. ;) I usually put it on a paper towel, but recently switched to paper plates... I noticed the pinkies get stuck to paper towels, which REALLY annoyed poor little Scout. Plates work much better!

IMO, if they are sticking to paper towels, they could be blotted dry a bit more. Not to argue, just sayin' what works for me.

Yes, thanks for adding that. ;) I usually put it on a paper towel, but recently switched to paper plates... I noticed the pinkies get stuck to paper towels, which REALLY annoyed poor little Scout. Plates work much better!

You're welcome :)

I haven't had trouble with mine sticking, but mine like them super wet and eat them usually before they hit the paper lol.

Speaking of wet pinkies, one way I got some stubborn pyros to eat last year was taking away their water bowl for a week and offering a soaking wet f/t pink. Off-topic, but it got three non-feeders to eat, so thought I'd share while I was thinking about it.

Back