• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to prekill a bird

SteveAlbert

Prekilling mice (if the situation is necessary) is rather simple. Now what if it's a bird, that's a toughie.

I have a snake that will only eat live birds(not chicken or quail). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I do not want to hurt the little bird nor do i want to see the snake hurt itself by hitting and missing. Before you suggest switching to frozen birds or mice, trust me, i already am trying. There is nothing more convenient than a box of mice in the freezer.

Anyway, just hoping i don't have to feed live tonight.

I found this document.

I've only had to kill a bird a couple times (found birds hit by cars that aren't going to make it- badly injured) and have used cervical dislocation.

Thanks alot Nanci. I did some google research too and found more or less the same information, not as detailed as your document though so thanks for that.

Still it sucks that i have to do this. Hoping i can make the switch real soon.

I know a few people have had luck scenting with bird (finch) droppings/dirty bird nest material. How big is the snake/birds?

Snake is 6-7 feet. Bird is the size of a medium/large mouse(i just googled finch, looks like an adult finch) i would say. I was told to avoid switching to mice till the snake gets settled in aka 3-4 more feedings i presume(This would be his 4th so far.

Red tailed green ratsnake. Tried literally everything but no luck. It seemed nothing attracts its attention other than the flapping wings of a bird. Anyway, i'll give it a week or two for settling in and then back to conversion tactics.

Back