• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to preserve Creeper's first shed?

Creeper

Hi all - well, Creeper's first shed was perfect. :) It's so cool looking. I'd really like to preserve it as a keepsake. Any suggestions on how to do that?

I put Legoless' shed in a small zip-lock bag and pressed the air out of it...

Like you, I imagine, I want to be able to compare when the little one grows up!

You might want to make sure it's thoroughly dry before you put it in the baggy. The fresh sheds are somwhat damp, and I'd think you'd get mold or something if you sealed it up before it was completely dry.

They do dry VERY fast...

Usually before I can get to them in the enclosure...
I have a bunch in ziplocks...with no problems yet...have had them in there for months...although I will probably pitch them soon...what good is a ziplock bag stuffed full of hatchling sheds anyhow? LOL

Other than my kids love them...they take them to school, give them to friends...I'm sure the other kids parents LOVE it...LOL

I have given sheds to a friend of my sister. She is a special education science teacher.

Other than that, most of them go in the circular file!

So, it seems like the shed will not last forever. :( I was thinking about a little enclosed shadow box, but I guess it would be hard to get the air out! I wonder if some type of clear acrylic spray would preserve it?

Donating to a science teacher sounds like the more practical and useful idea though. Just think, there's a kid out there who might see Creeper's shed and remember it forever. And it is pretty shed too, eyes and all. It's so cool.

FYI...If Creeper does not shed his eyecaps, you have a slight problem. Easily fixable but not desired at all.

I never really thought about preserving them. I keep mine in a nice big envelope and they are in there for years now. I suppose if you really want to make a fuzz about it just put it in a picture frame. they don't really decompose. They behave mor like nails and hair.

Acradon

Once it is completely dry,

you can spread it out nicely and laminate it between two sheets of plastic, although it is a little tricky to get all of the air out so you don't have little air pockets. But if you mess up, just try it again with the next nice, full shed.

Or you can mount it on a piece of wood and put a piece of glass or hard, clear plastic (plexiglass or similar) tightly over it and hang it on your child's wall.

Wont be long til ya got a box full of em. I love to give em to kids when I do Reptile Education shows. Ya would thank I gave em a new bike!

Reactions: CAV
MegF. said:
You might want to make sure it's thoroughly dry before you put it in the baggy. The fresh sheds are somwhat damp, and I'd think you'd get mold or something if you sealed it up before it was completely dry.
Good point...I should have made it clear that it air-dried quite awhile before I put it in the plastic bag. I must've missed his shed by mere seconds, because it was somewhat damp when I found it.

i have kept every single perfect shed of all of mine, my male, scales, i have had him since he was 3 months old, hes now 7 years old and 5'10", so its great to see how he has grown, i have a big ring binder and i just keep all their sheds in sleeves in that.
:D

Back