• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to raise humidity?

HoldenBurn

The name says it all really, I had some problems with Seth's last shed so I think I must need higher humidity.

So guys, what is the best way to achieve this?

What kind of substrate you use?
The simpliest way is to put "humidity box".
Just take Rubbermaid big enough for your snake, cut hole for snake in lid, put inside damp moss or paper towels and put it in tank.
It won't raise air humidity, but it will help shedding.
Raising air humidity : soak substrate (if it is possible), put bigger water bowl, put water bowl in warm part of tank.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I am using :shrugs:

I thought it was aspen but my friends "aspen" looks different, below is a picture, perhaps you will be able to tell me what it is?

And thanks for the ideas!

Forgot to add the picture! :dunce:

substarte1mq.jpg

Any wood-based substrate in not suitable to soak. I was thinking about coco fiber or sth.

You could even try misting twice daily when s/he goes in blue, until after the sheds off. Simple yet effective, I've only had one bad shed, and that was when I didn't mist.

I will probably try misting when he's blue, the only problem is that I did not notice when he went blue, just came home and he had started sheding.

As you get more used to your snake, you will notice the colour difference as s/he's coming up to shed. It'll take a while but you will get used to noticing the difference. I find looking at the belly helps, my girls is checkered and it goes really milky when about to shed.

That looks like whats called 'Beech chips' I think it is princess (please correct me if I'm wrong) who uses it in her display tanks and likes it. It is just as good as aspen with no bad oils, I might even use it if I could find it, but I've never seen it sold here.

Bobo's Mama said:
That looks like whats called 'Beech chips' I think it is princess (please correct me if I'm wrong) who uses it in her display tanks and likes it. It is just as good as aspen with no bad oils, I might even use it if I could find it, but I've never seen it sold here.

Seth loves tunneling in it, it is the main substrate that my local pet shop sell's and recommends.

Oh, you've been listening to me when I yammer on!!!! Yes that looks like beech chips but I use a finer cut. I use coco fiber in a plastic tub with a lid and a hole and it works like a dream. It also acts as a bonus hide.

HoldenBurn said:
The name says it all really, I had some problems with Seth's last shed so I think I must need higher humidity.

So guys, what is the best way to achieve this?
Follow slithers advise, better yet, move to Cleveland!:realhot:

~slither~ said:
You could even try misting twice daily when s/he goes in blue, until after the sheds off. Simple yet effective, I've only had one bad shed, and that was when I didn't mist.

Now, do you actually mist the cage or just the snake or both?

What should the humidity be at?

Don't spray the snake or the substrate. Spray the walls of your tank. You don't have to soak the walls, just give them a light spray. I aren't sure exactly what the humidity should be at, as I've never had problems and needed to mess with it. I think it should be around 40-50% during shed, but I may be wrong. My advice would be mist in the morning and then again at night.

sojkas said:
What kind of substrate you use?
The simpliest way is to put "humidity box".
Just take Rubbermaid big enough for your snake, cut hole for snake in lid, put inside damp moss or paper towels and put it in tank.
It won't raise air humidity, but it will help shedding.
Raising air humidity : soak substrate (if it is possible), put bigger water bowl, put water bowl in warm part of tank.

I agree with the above, Using a humidity box.

But I soak some sphaghum moss, ring out excess water and put it under his hide. I check it every day. It work well for my corn.

Good luck :cheers:

I don't mist at all.
All my snakes have bowls of water big enough for them to get inside + I put described box.

Back