• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hows my viv look?!? :)

dr82692

As I await the shipment of either my anery motley, amel motley or ultramel anery (help me decide!!! lol) on tuesday, I decided to set up its vivarium. What do you guys think? It's a 10 gallon tank. I have the repti-mat carpet for substrate. On the warm side, I have a pirate skull for a hide. Came across it in the fish section and couldn't pass it up! I thought it would be a nice, unique hide. Also I have a digital thermometer with a probe that I have resting almost right on the carpet near the hide. On the cool side is a water bowl, coconut hide, (another one I found unique) and some fake foliage for climbing. If I find that my snake likes climbing often, I'll buy some more. Tell me what you guys think or any other suggestions for the viv! (cell phone pic, sorry for the bad quality)

a=3243889025_3243889025

Aaaaand three posts later, got the picture up :idea: hahaha

Attachments

• 232323232%7Ffp6326;)nu=6475) ;;)257)WSNRCG=32(3; 9392348nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232%7Ffp6326;)nu=6475) ;;)257)WSNRCG=32(3; 9392348nu0mrj.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 140
looks good! i like the pirate hide. lol

(based on my 3 little ones)....i personally like the aspen bedding because if they want to burrow it gives them the option to. i havent used carpet before because when i got my first corn i was told to use the aspen so ive just continued to use it since they like going underneath it. ive havent heard anything bad about it just that they cant burrow or hide in it but just see how how they act when they get to their new home.
but thats just my input on my experience with mine. i think it looks very nice though and your new snake will be very happy. congratulations!

I have used the carpet, and know of many others on here that have used it...and we pretty much all recommend using something else, simply because you can't ever get it REALLY clean, because the nature of what it is.. it harbors bacteria.

You'll need two pieces of it if you do use it, because while one is drying after a wash, you'll need another to put in the tank. Here is where I ran into my real issue. After getting wet and drying, the carpet changed shapes on me and was no longer this nice neat rectangle that layed flat and looked pretty...that's when I went to Aspen.

You may want to do paper towel for the first week or two to make sure your new little one is defecating like it should be...then my I would suggest ASPEN bedding. Not Pine or any other wood shavings...just Aspen. I buy mine at Walmart most of the time. It's in the Pet Section, next to bags of PINE or CEDAR shavings....so you have to make sure you grab ASPEN bedding. It's only $3.50ish for the same size bag that costs $7.99 at pet shops.

This is all just my opinion, but I don't think you'll like that carpet in a few weeks... :)

Good luck!

I like it! I do use the reptile carpet, I have been using it for all my snakes for awhile and unlike many others really like it. When I clean out the cage, I whip in a new piece throw the other one in a little bleach water for awhile, scrub it off and either throw it in the dryer or outside in the sun to dry after a good rinsing.

I think because I am so anal about keeping my cages clean (and I only have 1 corn and 1 boa) I take everything out a clean it when the poo anyway so it doesn't make a difference to me.

I've never had a problem with it smelling or losing it's shape. I have two pieces for each cage and a couple extra in reserve.

Just my two cents.

Love the hide!

I had it from my baby beardie and it was great becouse he pooped alot. It never lose its shap on me. and I love your viv.

Thanks for the input everyone... I bought a cleaner for the carpet, so maybe I'll try it for a little and if after the first cleaning it loses shape like suggested, i'll go to aspen. Or if by my snakes behavior it seems like it likes burrowing (dont know how I will figure out if it does or not lol) ill pick some up. I already had this carpet in my house from when I was gonna get a ball, so thats the only reason i really used it. anyway, thanks again for the input!

I agree that carpet is a pain in the but. It's fine to use, if you like it by all means keep using it. But you'll probably find that cleaning it is a big chore and picks up stains easily. In the end a bedding like aspen shavings, forest earth or shredded paper is easier because it can be spot cleaned. Otherwise, very nice.

I'm not a fan of the carpet, but the viv looks great to me otherwise. I think you will know if you have a burrower because your snake will figure out how to get UNDER the carpet. Then you will know that maybe aspen would be better. If wood dust is a problem, Care Fresh works well for snakes too.

Hmmm maybe I should pick up the aspen, seems like most can agree that may be best for the snake and for maintenance. The $5 for aspen will definitely not be a big expense compared to all the other stuff I got. again, thanks for the opinions guys

With the Aspen you only really have to do a total change of bedding once a month...unless you spill water or something...other than that you only have to spot clean...grab out the little bit that has poo on it and it's fine. This being said, a bag from Walmart or a pet shop will last you quite a long time if you only have 1....even if you get to where you have alot and you need a whole bag each month....like you said....it's only $5. :)

The snake will want to burrow. He'll burrow under the carpet if you don't provide aspen. Then you have to take out everything to get him out. Plus frighten him by chasing him around in his tunnels under the carpet. I think you _can_ get it clean by washing it in the washing machine and hanging in the sun- but you're going to get tired of that.

I use eco earth compressed coconut fiber. But recently decided to use the aspen to see how my snakes liked it. I got two bags of the kind in the reptile section. Anyway the bags said that it was nearly dust free. But I have to beg to differ. I up ended a bag of it into my snakes cage and a big cloud of dust came up and chocked me and coated everything in the surrounding area in the aspen dust. Also after my snakes have been burrowing they sneeze. So I'm gonna go back to the eco earth. At least it didn't make me or my snakes sneeze. The only thing I don't like about the compressed coconut fiber blocks is that it takes forever for it to dry out.

Back