• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Huge Temp Problems!!!!!

tirevy

Here's my current temps on my corn snake's tank:

Temp on glass (right on top of UTH): 86.0F
Air temp on hot side: 73.6F
Air temp on cold side: 69.8F

So my house is always really cool. It's always set at about 68F. This is way too cold for my corn! I have about 3/4 of an inch of reptile bark for substrate. I've never had a problem with her for eating or shedding, but these temps must be too cold, right? What can I do to raise them? I don't want to raise the UTH temp, cause I am scared she will burn if she burrows. Help please?

Personally I don't think those are outrageously cold temps. Yes the cool side is a bit chilly, but if she has a nice warm basking are above the UTH it seems OK to me. If she does hang out on top of the UTH all the time, then maybe you should consider raising temps so she can comfortably explore the rest of the tank. I use UTHs and 100W heat lamps on my larger display cages. If its a smaller tank you coould go with a 60w lamp.

No- it's okay! All that matters is the temp on the glass. If she wants to burrow down to it, she can. My house gets down to 64 in the winter- everyone is fine. I have roughly the same temps as you do, maybe a couple degrees cooler.

Your temps are just fine.

Don't worry about the air temp. Unless you've bought your Corn a hoverpack, she isn't floating in mid-air so it doesn't matter what the temp is above her. As long as you have a spot on the floor that's in the mid-to-high 80s, it's absolutely fine.

There's no way she'll burn on 86 degrees - in fact that's an ideal temp for her to lie on and digest.

If you are measuring 82F in the center of the heat mat, inside the viv, under the aspen, then yes.

Ideally it needs to be a few degrees warmer - somewhere around 85-88 would be good if you can bump it up a little (just make sure to keep it safely below 90). Babies need the same temps as adults.

Ideally it needs to be a few degrees warmer - somewhere around 85-88 would be good if you can bump it up a little (just make sure to keep it safely below 90). Babies need the same temps as adults.

but 88 -90 is like royal/ball python temp and i know corn snakes dont like it that hot

at the moment its a baby in a really usefull box, so i use a heat mat under the rub on the hot side

I'd certainly see 88 as the safe max - 90 is the danger point and you do need to keep below that. So I aim for an average 85-86, which gives wiggle room for the temp to reach 88 as the thermostat switches on/off.

But than again, just to confuse things Nanci's also right and I was giving my view of the ideal! Corns are pretty bombproof as long as you keep below that magic 90.

It was a great day when they invented Really Useful Boxes. An escape-proof alternative at last!

Back