• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

humidifier

Thoth

the n00biest n00b
Has any of you used a humidifier near your vivs to keep up the moisture? Any problems with them? What brand do you use?

I'm having a helluva time keeping the moisture up in my vivs. I've lived in a desert almost all my life, but I've never had non-aquatic pets until now, so I never thought about it being so dry here. I don't dare cover up any more of the lid with cling film for fear of suffocating her (it's about 4/5 covered). I mist heavily about five or six times a day (more for the crabs). I have two huge waterbowls in with the snake. But the humidity never goes above 42% now, and it's usually hovering around 30 or below (it bottoms out at 30; below that, it registers "--").

If I just had the snake, I'd just put in a hide full of damp sphagnum moss, but I'm concerned about the millipede and crabs as well. If I get a humidifier for them, will it adversely affect Eve?

Thanks,
Desiccated in the Desert

For a second I thought you were co-habing all your animals. lol.
If you get a cool-mist humidifier it'll raise the humidity in the room without raising the temps. If you find that the humidity in the cornsnake's tank is to high you can remove one of the bowls or turn down the humidifier. you can also move the humidifier so that the distance increases from it as the requirement for high humidity decreases. So the animal which requires the most humidity ends up closest to the humidifier. I've used a humidifier when it was esp dry in the house and it raised the overall humidity to an acceptable level, the difference in the setups maintained the correct humidity for each animal.

I've found that corn snakes do just fine in dry air as long as they can soak or have a moist hide when it comes time for them to shed. I keep a couple of Brazilian rainbow boas and they need that really high humidity so for substrate I use a mixture of wood shavings and forest earth bedding. The forest earth comes in compressed bricks, you put it in a bucket and add water to it, it then expands to about 8 times it's size before and makes an excellent humidity regulator. It's very fine and fluffy and by it's self always gets in the water and the snakes are always covered in it. By mixing it with wood shavings it stays a little more under control.

KISS
Keep It Simple S*

Your snake should adjust as long as you have a good water supply for it. The only time I actively change the humidity is when my snake is blue and about to shed. Then a few mists with a water bottle a few times a day will work. I spray both the snake and the substrate. I use aspen which holds the water well. This ruins the substrate but I like to time my viv substrate changes to my snakes rhythm. Fresh substrate for fresh scales.

Back