• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity and Cool Temps

bkastel

Hello all! I did a search earlier and found some general answers, but I'm still not clear on a couple things. It's been pretty cold and humid around here lately, due to the rain, and this has caused my cool side temps to drop quite a bit while also spiking my humidity. I've heard that temperatures too low and high humidity can cause respiratory infections, and as a new owner, well, I'm paranoid.

My cool side is currently maintaining about 65-68 during the day, and drops to around 60 at night. The humidity goes up to about 60%. I'm under the impression that's too high, that it should be between 40-50%.

So my questions are these: Should I be concerned? What is an appropriate level of humidity to maintain? Would it be reasonable to buy a heat lamp for cold weather, to raise cool side temps and lower humidity when needed?

Here are my setup specs, if it helps:

- Sterilite tub w/ holes in lid and around all sides
- aspen bedding
- small water dish
- warm temps between 81-84 degrees (heat pad)

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Well, loving in WV we get some decently cool winters but 65-68 seems a bit cool IMHO. One thing you could do is to run a space heater to heat up the air in the room a bit.

As for humidity, Corns don't need/like much humidity. 30-40% is fine for normal periods and 50% is recommended for shed time. Too much humidity can lead to health problems for the corn. If it is getting too high, put more holes in the viv.

That gives me a much better idea of what humidity range to aim for -- thanks! I'll definitely need to add more holes.

Back