• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity and heating problems

Spectre

Just joined the forum! I've been going in and out of these threads to get some answers. I just need some advice.

I currently don't have a snake in my tank! It's a 20 gallon long.

A big problem I'm having (probably due to screen top) is that I mist 2-3 times a day, then humidity is around 40-50% for a few hours, before gradually dropping back to 10%. It's difficult to maintain a good level when I would theoretically have to mist every 2-3 hours to keep it steady. I have a load of moss in the tank that I thoroughly wet down, but I'm still having difficulty. Would a towel over half of the tank help? I have a warm mist humidifier that I put on every once in a while for my birds - I wonder if I should have that on every day to help maintain.. My house is only kept around 64 degrees in the winter, BUT my room is over my garage so it easily gets way colder. So I always have a heater on in my room 24/7 to keep it above or around 65-68.

Tank temp reads 78F under my bulb. Room temp is around 65. I have a UTH without a thermostat, and I keep a hide on top of it. Upon feeling the glass over my UTH, it merely feels warm not hot, and with the hide on top the inside of the hide feels warm and humid. I have a water bowl on my warm side and another on my cool side. Tank temp drops to about 68 to 72 at night when I switch bulbs.

I'm worried that's too cold. I was expecting my basking to be at least around 80-85. Should I get a stronger bulb for a basking? Or are my current temps acceptable?

I'm hoping it'll get warmer soon... Thanks guys!

Hi welcome to the forum! Humidity isn't a huge factor for corn snakes. The temp above the uth should be 80-90. A basking bulb isn't necessary, the uth is enough. At night it's fine to go down to 72, if it gets cold it'll go to the warmth above the uth. There should be a cool side any how for him to go to. When you notice your snake is about to shed get some moss and wet it and place it under its warm hide. Then make sure the moss is damp daily.

Welcome! Humidity is not a big issue for corn snakes, if they have a bad shed then you can add another water bowl or cover part of the screen to keep the humidity in.

The lamp is not the best thing for corns. Corns don't "bask" like other reptiles, they prefer belly heat. The lamps dry out the tank, the lights are fragile and expensive, they have been known to start fires and they can cause damage or even blindness to certain morphs' eyes.

Definitely get a thermostat, set it to 87° and keep it at that temp. The snake will choose where he wants to be in his viv, the warmer end or the cool end which gradiates down to around 75°. 68° is really too cold for corn snakes, 75° as low as I like to go with my corns. They will choose where they want to be temperature-wise so add as many hides as possible so they can be comfortable.

The glass over the UTH won't feel all that warm to you, your body temp is much higher than 85° so it isn't expected for you to feel the warmth. Since snakes are cold blooded, they will definitely know the difference which is why your viv needs to be warmer. They also use belly heat to digest. If the viv is that cold, you risk a regurge of the last feeding, and that is not something you want to deal with!

If there is no other place in the house that you can put him so the ambient temperature is warmer, make sure the UTH is doing its job by keeping the temps steady and checking them with a digital probe thermometer.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!

The human skin is °95. Snakes are fine in human hands.

True dat!^^^^^^^^^^ Snakes actually like to be held because of the warmth. You almost can't go too hot with the UTH because the snake can always go to the cool end, but if they are too cold and there is no UTH they don't have the ability to warm up.

True dat!^^^^^^^^^^ Snakes actually like to be held because of the warmth. You almost can't go too hot with the UTH because the snake can always go to the cool end, but if they are too cold and there is no UTH they don't have the ability to warm up.
Yep! A lot of people swear that if the temp is °100 the snake will catch fire! That's ludicrous!

Yep! A lot of people swear that if the temp is °100 the snake will catch fire! That's ludicrous!

I have seen pics of snakes with burns on their bellies, but Chip and I had a long discussion about it and it is rarely corn snakes, usually boas, that get burned from not moving away from the heat. I prefer to regulate my heat source with thermostats but as long as the warm side is always reading 85° or above I know it is all good.

PS: Murder, read the PM I sent you for a laugh.

Back